Forgot to mark ring gear location, What to do?

Tallz

Last weekend I tore down my carrier in my 14bolt to weld the rear spider. I planned on reassembling everything the way it was. Upon tearing it down I marked the original placement of everything except the location of the ring gear on the carrier. What do I need to do to get it back in close to the way it was? I figure I will need to measure the backlash, and adjust from there, but is there anything else I need to do?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Look at the ring gear or carrier and try and find a mark that will match up with the other side, if you can't then just set everything back up to specs. I have been told it will still work well but you may get a whine out of it.

Tallz

Yep, got the "Orb of Traction" all welded up.

Thanks for the help on the ring gear, I was hoping that was all I needed to do.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
If it makes you feel any better I just put mine back together and had marked everything and couldn't get the pinion to slide in exactly how I took it out so its off a tooth.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The relation between the ring gear and carrier doesn't matter..... I can't think of how the relation between the pinion and ring gear teeth matters either...? The pinion and ring gear have a different number of teeth and spin at different rates anyways. The only thing you'd have to worry about is making sure your backlash and preload are set up properly.

billylight

The relation between the ring gear and carrier doesn't matter..... I can't think of how the relation between the pinion and ring gear teeth matters either...? The pinion and ring gear have a different number of teeth and spin at different rates anyways. The only thing you'd have to worry about is making sure your backlash and preload are set up properly.

thats the same thing i was thinking but then i thought maybe he ment in relation to the ring gear on the carrier? i guess it could effect it a bit? or didn't mark the shims? oh well set the back lash and all is well

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
No shims on a 14 bolt other than the pinion... and you can't really mix 'em up.

Set your backlash and preload, double check the pattern, and put it to the wood.:)