Northern Utah Forrest lake sat

dash

hey so anybody shot up to Forrest lake this year? What is the trail like? I thought some one said was different. I wanna take the boss and head up but wonder if the supposed rain all day is going to make it not so fun. Let me know if you wanna go maybe we can figure something out.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I went up there alone couple weeks go in the rain and thick sticky mud and slick rocks... the only time when upper AF canyon isn't an unbearable hellhole of dust. Did the whole thing with only my 2wd working, 33's, no locker. This trail is way more fun in the mud.

This is the rock garden at the bottom, it's about as technical as it gets.

temporary_zps4cc00de1.jpg~original

Last edited:

dash

been up there many times. just wondered if it was trashed or if it was nicer than usual.

dash

Took the wife and headed up to the lake. It was wet but fun. we had a great time but I diff notice a few things that disturbed me a bit. there were a fair amount of rigs going off trail. the mud was too much for them I guess. Personally, I enjoy the mud it makes the rocks more of a challenge.

The other thing was the amount of post high school or high school aged drivers that had no respect for the trail guidelines. They were doing donuts and driving in the lake. the whole they just kept yelling "my dad is going to kill me when I get home!".
I thought about saying something but wasn't sure what the best thing to do is or was. we got a few plate numbers. can the rangers do anything with them?
I don't have teens and wonder what a parent would have someone say to them. is there something to say?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
^^ I have often wondered about this, also. As I told Ryan, had I been up there to witness this, I would have filmed it and turned it in to the authorities... or would that be a bad idea?

What should we do when we see obvious destruction and/or rule breaking?

sixstringsteve

...we got a few plate numbers. can the rangers do anything with them?

It can't hurt to call and see what they can do. If you have any pictures of their plates with them in the lake, they can mail them tickets. Call the PG Forest Ranger and see what they say.

Check out the TreadLightly! training sometime. It teaches people how to have constructive conversations with people who may not know the impact of what their doing. Common sense prevails. Don't just rush to chew them out. Educate them and help them understand the impacts of what they're doing. Having some tread lightly cards to pass along helps ease the conversation.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I guess I'm not a people person, because any time I try to approach people like that I'm invariably met with hostility. I still do sometimes because I don't care if people call me names, but I don't know how effective it is.

If you've got plate numbers, absolutely turn then in to the FS. It's the rangers job to educate and/or discipline, and if nothing else it's good for the rangers to know that some of us care?