Four Link vs Custom Alcan Leaf Springs

Once the cage, tube bumpers and frame reinforcement are completed. I am positive on lifting the truck. Probably looking at 6-7 inches of lift and cutting the fenders a few inches to fit 40's. So I am just curious on what others think. Looking for a lot of flex and the truck will still be street legal. I've always wondered why some four link systems can get "tucked" up under the vehicle but others are not. Budget wise I can afford both I'm pretty sure. Wanting that top notch suspension for comfortable ride on & offroad with plenty of flex for a do-it-all rig so to speak.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
My bad. I hit "Submit" before I realized I didn't put my trucks info. It is the 92 Dodge regular cab long bed.

No problem we all do it.

I have a bit of experience with leaf springs and 4 links, but nothing under a street legal full size truck, so I will watch and learn. :)

Good luck.

I'd have a shop do it. Yes. Ching, ching. I'm not able to do any fab work of this extent. Trails? Any kind and lots of camping. Close to the TTC truck challenge they have every year in California. Except not that big. Tire sizes I'm looking at are 38-42 but hoping to compromise on 40s. Springs most likely be coilovers. Maybe air shocks.

leorn

reset
Once the cage, tube bumpers and frame reinforcement are completed. I am positive on lifting the truck. Probably looking at 6-7 inches of lift and cutting the fenders a few inches to fit 40's. So I am just curious on what others think. Looking for a lot of flex and the truck will still be street legal. I've always wondered why some four link systems can get "tucked" up under the vehicle but others are not. Budget wise I can afford both I'm pretty sure. Wanting that top notch suspension for comfortable ride on & offroad with plenty of flex for a do-it-all rig so to speak.

My alcans are fine, I like my junkyard front pack better, and I would take a properly built four link over either one any day of the week.

amp713

I dont see you getting the custom tuneable usage out of alcans as you would out of a link set up but if you have the money why wouldnt you go links???

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Will you ever tow with it or, well, use it as a truck? If yes, I vote leafs. If no, then link it up.

Well I know lifting and four linking it how I hope will pretty much defeat it as a tow rig. Street use is a sure thing though. I researched the Four Wheel Offroad Tug Truck and am in love with it. Surprised to find out it was leafs in the rear and a three link front. Which I really like the front suspension idea. Just don't know the difference between that and the four link front. Driving and handling difference? Pretty set on a four link rear at this point however. Recently read somewhere that four links don't handle well on the road for instance and that's what confuses me. I don't want to sound like someone who refuses to research how stuff works. It's road and offroad manners I have trouble finding out about and knowing the difference.

rustyjeep21

I prefer vehicles that have links on the front and leafs in the back. They do well in most conditions as long as you control wheel hop. With links front and rear it requires a lot of math to figure roll center, anti squat etc. (all of which is over my head)

sixstringsteve

I like the simplicity of leafs. I've had alcans, and they make a really nice spring. They were a little too stiff/harsh at first, but after 4 months they smoothed out. After couple years of flexing them out, daily driving them, and wheeling them on my tacoma they lost a couple inches of lift. I vote for leaf springs, but something cheaper and less custom than alcans.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That funny because my only experience with alcans was just the opposite. I gave the exact weights of the rig and gear and all that and the springs ended up to soft. Had a lot of nose dive when braking. Had to send them back to be rebuilt.

amp713

That funny because my only experience with alcans was just the opposite. I gave the exact weights of the rig and gear and all that and the springs ended up to soft. Had a lot of nose dive when braking. Had to send them back to be rebuilt.

do they charge you for redoing them?? Ive always wondered

sixstringsteve

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a company that does custom leaf springs in southern utah county. I've heard good things about them, and they're cheaper than alcan.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Can't remember. But I want to say we sent them back twice before we got the rate right. It was in an fj60 that we put a 5.3L in. Drove like a Caddy when it was finished. Just a pain to get right.

mombobuggy

6 or 7 inches seems excessive for 40s on a Fullsize Truck. If you like the way it looks thats cool but as a life ling offroader to me it looks silly. In my opinion cutting the fenders a lot is always better for keeping a Truck still useful as a truck have you ever loaded a bunch of heavy objects into a Truck with a big lift? it kind of sucks! I think a 2 inch lift for uptravel would be better. This is of course just my opinion for what it is worth or not. Also keep in mind that during this sorry economy there are a lot of good deals to be had on well built rigs so unless your Truck is nicer than average you may be money ahead to buy one that is already built. Good luck hope to see you on the Trail sometime soon.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Another option that's the best of both worlds would be a set of Alcans with a traction bar. Bolt-on simplicity and plenty of traction... and the overall product would cost way less than a 4 link.

Trate D

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a company that does custom leaf springs in southern utah county. I've heard good things about them, and they're cheaper than alcan.
Best deal springs in Payson? That's who I have do mine and they have always done a good job and built them how I wanted.