Frame Help!!!

Mr.Chevy

Will I was getting ready to go out wheeling this past weekend but I remembered that the steering on my blazer was really loose and I needed to look at it before I could drive it. So I watched the tire as I was turning the steering wheel and I could turn the wheel half way before it would turn the tire so I look at the pitment arm and it was moving up and down. So I popped the hood and seen the steering box moving. I thought it was just loose but when I crawled under the truck I seen that the frame was cracked :eek: so I looked at it from the top side and there is pretty much 1 bolt (out of the 4) that is holding the box in place. When you move the wheel you can see the frame move with the box and there is a chunk of frame gone.

So my ? is what to do? I know that I will have to put some plate in there to beef it up but how thick of a plate and do I do it on the inside of the frame and the outside too or can I just do the outside or the inside only and that will be fine.

Also is there any one in the Orem Provo area that would be willing to help me out with this. I need to use a welder and maybe a cutting torch. I will pay for your time and help.

It is a 89 Chevy Blazer

Any info will be helpful.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
:)my 86' blazer did the same thing, so i made a cardboard template of the inside of the frame rail and cut it out of a piece of 3/16 steel and welded it into place on the inside of the frame rail. Drilled it out, and the where the bolts pulled through and left a hole i put a piece of 1/2 over it, welded it, then drilled everything out.
The most important part is, that it won't do it again, so make a diagonal brace from the template to the front crossmember to give it more rigidity. I thing ORD makes a bolt on brace and weld in pate for the outside of the frame too.
\

Or, just go full hydro.

Mr.Chevy

tiny2085 said:
:)my 86' blazer did the same thing, so i made a cardboard template of the inside of the frame rail and cut it out of a piece of 3/16 steel and welded it into place on the inside of the frame rail. Drilled it out, and the where the bolts pulled through and left a hole i put a piece of 1/2 over it, welded it, then drilled everything out.
The most important part is, that it won't do it again, so make a diagonal brace from the template to the front crossmember to give it more rigidity. I thing ORD makes a bolt on brace and weld in pate for the outside of the frame too.
\

Or, just go full hydro.
Would love to go full hydro but I just dont have the money to even think of doing that. Will not till i bolt up a D60 under the front of the thing :greg:

Thanks for the info. Any one have a welder and a cutting torch i can use?

Mr.Chevy

Ken said:
Hey mister I thought you were selling the blazer?
Will I was and still am but no one seemed to interested in buying it so I guess I will keep it unless some one wants to buy it.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
they sell pre-made reinforcement/repair plates for the chevy frame, for just that reason. check some of the local shops and see if they can get it or have it in stock.