Freestyle Comp

P

pokeyYJ

I had this idea the other day. It stems from a Monster truck show that I went a saw a while back.

(Please keep in mind that I have never been to an organized rock crawling compitition)

During a compitition there has to be some down time between stages, right? What about a freestyle compitition away from the courses? Heres what I had in mind, a large area that can be ropes/fenced off with man made obstacles placed in the arena.

The competitior could choose lines that made it difficult to traverse. The competitior would be judges by a panal of judges, the area's of point scoring would be something like; difficulty of lines, amount of obstacles completed, fluidity of driving sequence. Maybe a time limit, and maybe a "cool" factor, the judging would be something like the figure skating judging.

What do you guys think? Heck I might even go design some obstacles that I could set up in a parking lot or something to just play on for myself.

I thought of this because at the Monster truck show, I thought the coolest part was the freestyle comp. Those trucks going backwards off jumps and doing HUGE wheelies. It was awesome:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sounds like to much liability to me... Plus I don't think any of the competitors are gonna' want to rally their rigs in between obstacles. I think rock crawl competitions are exciting as is. One of the biggest problem they have is staying organized with as many competitors as they have... adding this would be too much... IMHO..

But it would be cool to check out...:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
they should do a roll competetion too!!

suggested categories:
slowest most controlled roll
best full roll back onto wheels

extra points for end over rolls.
extra points for bumper stands!!

P

pokeyYJ

I like the role comp idea. Kinda like the hollywood stunt cars, see how many roles you can preform in the air right?:D

Andy

aka. Hollywood
The only problem with this is that we are trying to keep our viehicles together through the day, and this would only add to the broken factor. For competitors the only down time is waiting to go at the start of the day. For spectators, once the day starts it's non-stop carnage and rolls. Pokey you and your dad should go to St George for UROC, I think you will really like it.

T

Toby

Andy,

What are the dates for the St. George event? Sounds like fun.

Toby

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think it's gonna be an uphill battle convincing any of the competitors to do that. And Spence, are you trying to get us all killed??? Comps are cool because there is a set course, everyone drives through the same sets of cones. We are judged objectively by how quickly, efficiently and accurately we navigate the course. In a freestyle comp the judging is purely subjective, and would be nearly impossible to make it fair. It would suck if I could get through all the courses with a better score than anybody else, and then lose the comp because some guy is more reckless than me and has an unlmited repair budget on the freestyle course. Also, it's tough as is to keep the rig driveable over two days of competition without adding in a go crazy course.

P

pokeyYJ

Its good to here points from the other side, OK what about a separete thing all together, just a freestyle comp?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
A seperate comp all together might be interesting. Kind of a figure skating versus speed skating knda thing. It would be two totally different sports, probably with two totally different types of rig.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Its good to here points from the other side, OK what about a separete thing all together, just a freestyle comp?

A freestyle only event would be centered more towards a baja-type truck as they are designed to handle high speeds, jumps and rocks far more than a low speed rockcrawler that emphasizes control and perfection... It is almost a derivative of stadium trucks... they get pretty wild, passing, jumping etc... mabey you can talk them into destroying their parts...:D

P

pokeyYJ

I think that I may have conveyed the wrong message here, I am not thinking that it was going to be fast. Rather it would be slow, like rockcrawling, maybe freestyle is the wrong word but it is the only one that I can think of.

The compitition would be based on the competitor's ability to complete a course with the most technical line or the most obstacles completed. The obstacles would be man made, like cement or something and placed so that the buggies could choose varying lines.

I don't know how else to try to get my idea across, excpet that it would be similar to the courses now, but placed in a confined area and be judged not for speed but for agility and technicality.
The judging process WOULD be purely based on opinion but, it would be like how figure skating is judged, with enough judges you could get a fair score.

Please keep the input coming.:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Still sounds like broken parts.... In all reality what they do is a judged course... They have to complete a certain obstacle in a given time within the boundaries. I think it is way to hard for them to judge a driving style... I mean there is obvious differences like hitting it at 30 and spinning all four on flat ground like a redneck... but most competitors are skilled drivers that do try to get up every obstacle in the most respectable fashion... I guess my opinion of good driving and the nexts guys could be way too different.

Its not like freestlye motocross where they do tricks that in turn earn them points. You are asking them to pick lines that earn points... This could very well come down to the vehicle rather then the driver and therefor really takes the fun out of it... I for one would be on the front row for something like this if it happened but the chances are slim if any at all. ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
I think that I may have conveyed the wrong message here, I am not thinking that it was going to be fast. Rather it would be slow, like rockcrawling, maybe freestyle is the wrong word but it is the only one that I can think of.

The compitition would be based on the competitor's ability to complete a course with the most technical line or the most obstacles completed.

So, first you're saying it won't be fast, but then you say they will be judged on the number of obstacles completed in a given time. That means it's gonna be fast. When people compete in these things they generally try their best to win. If you tell them they'll be judged on how many obstacles they complete in their allotted time, they are gonna try to do as many as possible, which means they'll be going as fast as possible.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Pokey, you just need to go to a comp., teams are constantly driving out of crazy messed up lines, pulling off some of the most amazing sh&* I've ever seen. Just go, you will thank me.;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by Andy
Pokey, you just need to go to a comp., teams are constantly driving out of crazy messed up lines, pulling off some of the most amazing sh&* I've ever seen. Just go, you will thank me.;)
I second that. Go to UROC in Feb. You will no longer see a need to make it more difficult...

P

pokeyYJ

By fast i dont mean like stadium racing fast, but like rockcrawling fast, those guys already fly over the obstacles as is, like that speed. Good to hear some input, thanx.