Fridge/freezers, what can you tell me?

DAA

I'll be the proud new owner of an ARB fridge/freezer soon.

You guys that have been living with fridge/freezers awhile, got any tips on usage, packing (both of the fridge itself and it's contents), battery management?

I realize that I'll have to choose a temperature and use it as either a fridge or a freezer, it's not a dual zone device. But, is it possible to use it as a fridge and keep some ice cubes (or ice cream sandwiches...) alive for a day or two? Like set the temp just above freezing, 34 degrees say, so perishables don't freeze, put a blue ice blanket around a tupper ware container of ice cubes in the bottom? Any chance I'd still have useable ice cubes a day or two later, and not have frozen milk and eggs?

Anyone used one of those cheap 12v power pack/jump start deals to run their fridge in camp, out of the vehicle?

Any worries with leaving it out in the elements in the bed of a pickup (rain, snow, thick dust etc.) on a sustained basis?

If, after getting it down to the temperature you've selected, you have to take it "off line" and leave it unpowered, how well will it keep things relatively cool inside, if you keep the lid closed?

Tell me 'bout this stuff :D.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Funny you bring this up. I'm writing an article on 'Do I need a freezer-fridge' right now :D

You can absolutely pack strategically to allow some things to stay frozen while others just cold. In fact the new ARB has an upper shelf that does just that, keeps things cold, not frozen. I've never tried using containers but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keep in mind you could always make ice cubes. My Engel will freeze bottles of water in just a couple of hours under the right circumstances.

The thing to remember about the high quality compressor driven 12V fridges (ie non thermoelectric) is that they have an amazingly low draw, for example the standard unit is rated at ~4amps (being general here as different models have different ratings). That is while it is running which even in the desert heat is at most ~40% of the time and at night it doesn't need to run much at all... its still a cooler after all. So in the average day it might pull just 15-20 amp-hours out of your battery. Even a standard battery could do that for 2-3 days and still start. The new ARB also has a low voltage shut-off feature, use it wisely and you'll never compromise your start battery. I parked my FJ40 with a fridge full of food Sunday afternoon.... I figure the way this week is going I won't have time to start unpacking until Thursday at the soonest. I'm not even remotely worried about the fridge powering out though that is pushing the start power threshold (enter the dual battery system ;))

Exposure is going to be related to the model but speaking of the models I deal with, no issues at all. Mine has bounced around in the back of my truck, been covered with snow in the back of my Cruiser and pressure washed to remove a layer of mud... no issues in nearly 6 years of use and abuse.

There are some great fridge reveiw and comparison artciles, Australian 4WD Action mag did one (the new ARB was the winner) and Overland Journal did one too (the National Luna was the winner). Really, you can't go wrong with a Engel, Waeco, Norcold, ARB or National Luna, all have very proven track records. The new ARB really upped the standards with added features (such as a drain plug in the bottom and a light on the inside), right now its my pick for 'best bang for the buck'. Am I biased? I have actually sold far more of the Engels and use an ARB rebadged Engel myself (ARB used to re-badge Engels). I really do think the new ARB offers the best performance and features at a price comparable if not slightly better than the similar model Engels & Waeco's.

PS, yours will be here Thursday ;)

Last edited:

DAA

Heck yeah, do the article! And thanks for the answers too.

Especially good to know I don't need to worry about long term survival in the back of my truck. Seems like my Jeep is all I ever mention here, but in reality, most of my longer trips are done in my Ram CTD. I only take the Jeep when the expected terrain demands it. History has shown that life off road in the back of my pickup is hard, hard, HARD on gear! Anything that can vibrate loose, come apart, stress fracture, get choked by dust or ruined by wet, does...

I've read your review too Greg. You were one of the bad(good?) influences that helped sway my opinion towards getting a fridge.

I'll give you a ring on Monday Kurt!

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I really like my fridge. I bought the same one that greg did, maybe a different size. It killed my battery in the JK the first couple times I used it. Luckily it was in my driveway the first time so it didn't matter. After that it never happened again for some reason.
I now have a 04 CTD and am building a shelf to go over the seat to hold it in place. The seat folds up and a little shelf folds down, but that doesn't hold it. The fridge is too long.
I am also working on a sort of big wheeled cart to put the fridge and a battery in to pull it around places. Kind of like a red wagon but more useful.
I am also debating putting it in the back of the truck with an auxiliary battery to run it and other stuff, that isn't part of the trucks battery system, but still charges from the truck.
I haven't tried the dual zone thing with cardboard and blankets and stuff to make it a fridge and freezer at the same time. When I go on a really long trip I plan on using it to freeze water bottles(and ice cream:)) and a cooler to put the water bottles in so I have an unlimited supply of ice.

Kurt, I know the purpose of the article isn't commercial, but please include info in your article about costs and feature/cost comparison with your recommendations. Also on the more commercial side, is there any advantage to a group buy situation with these fridges? I would be interested in one.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, I know the purpose of the article isn't commercial, but please include info in your article about costs and feature/cost comparison with your recommendations.

Will do. I'll include pricing on the most common models.

Also on the more commercial side, is there any advantage to a group buy situation with these fridges? I would be interested in one.

Not so much an advantage to a group buy, as just giving me a ring for a price :D CO has been an ARB dealer for nearly 20 years (remember I was just a shop punk then ;)) our buy pricing is very respectable. And since we stock these on the shelf (have 4 more arriving tomorrow) I can extend some pretty decent prices. If your interested in a price give me a ring :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
OK, so I'm working on the article... but in the meantime let me re-emphasize my favorite part of a fridge. I have had an insanely busy week. After 10 days in Swell/Moab I pulled in on Sunday and jumped right back to work this week. Today Friday I finally have time to start unpacking. The fridge has sat in the back of the Cruiser, exactly where I parked in on Sunday. If I had a cooler full of ice I would have some nasty food, instead I just had a yogurt and cold DP out of the fridge :cool:

(still haven't unpacked it yet either :))

PS. Had 7 more of the ARB fridges show up yesterday :cool:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hmm. I definitely see the value in one, just not sure if it will find it's way into my budget this year. I kind of want an ARB for the front end....but I imagine the fridge will be around a lot longer than my jeep ;)