Front 10 bolt Vs. dana 44

spiderman

Amish dude
Is the 10 bolt front gm axle really that much weaker than the dana 44? I know that they have the neck-down on the axle by the splines that they break at, but other than that, aren't they pretty close?

Caleb

spiderman said:
Is the 10 bolt front gm axle really that much weaker than the dana 44? I know that they have the neck-down on the axle by the splines that they break at, but other than that, aren't they pretty close?

yep they are VERY similar...I think the D44 is 30 spline and the 10 bolt is 29 spline...something like that...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
lets just say that if you already have the axle...think about it....if you are shopping for axles and think you wanna buy one...DON'T!!!

spiderman

Amish dude
yeah, this is an axle I already have. I think I will run it and see how it goes. I just can't get much comparative info. between the two axles.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
spiderman said:
yeah, this is an axle I already have. I think I will run it and see how it goes. I just can't get much comparative info. between the two axles.

Here's your real world comparitive info... ;)

Back in the day (About '96-'97) Shannon Campbell had one of the first real 'Buggies.' I believe he was running a 350, Auto & ????- T-case with 2, GM 10 Bolt axles... spinning 35" Boggers. They worked very well for him and set him up as one of the Rock-buggy authorities.

Go for it! Build that 10 Bolt! :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Greg said:
Here's your real world comparitive info... ;)

Back in the day (About '96-'97) Shannon Campbell had one of the first real 'Buggies.' I believe he was running a 350, Auto & ????- T-case with 2, GM 10 Bolt axles... spinning 35" Boggers. They worked very well for him and set him up as one of the Rock-buggy authorities.

Go for it! Build that 10 Bolt! :D

and wasn't the rear even lincoln locked :)

spiderman

Amish dude
Shawn said:
There is nothing wrong with a 10 bolt (depending on the application).

It's going under a zuk. It's all gm drivetrain. (buick motor, th350 trans, undecided t-case, ff 14 bolt rear). So there is some added weight up top, but not a whole lot. Main weight gain is from the anchor out back.
:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
spiderman said:
It's going under a zuk. It's all gm drivetrain. (buick motor, th350 trans, undecided t-case, ff 14 bolt rear). So there is some added weight up top, but not a whole lot. Main weight gain is from the anchor out back.
:D

if you are running a 14bolt..you need to run at least 38 inch tires...those things were hampering travel for EVERYONE that was running one in moab that I witnessed over turkey day!! those 14 bolts are frickin huge and love to hang up on the rocks!!

they are great axles but you gotta get em up in the air!! and if you are going to put LARGE tires on...that 10 bolt aint gonna hack!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
spencurai said:
they are great axles but you gotta get em up in the air!! and if you are going to put LARGE tires on...that 10 bolt aint gonna hack!!
I agree totally. Not to mention the fact that full widths on a zuk is rediculous IMO.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
spiderman said:
To each his own. This is exactly why there is not just one kind of rig running around. ;)
Yeah, but running a 14 bolt in a Zuk kinda defeats the purpose of using a Zuk for the buildup. Use some waggy axles or Yota gear.

spiderman

Amish dude
Hickey said:
Yeah, but running a 14 bolt in a Zuk kinda defeats the purpose of using a Zuk for the buildup. Use some waggy axles or Yota gear.

Which I have considered. I have seen people successfully build similar rigs. Especially on the early jeeps, like willey's. They are similar to zuk size. I know it may be overkill or kind of extreme, but I had the zuk, and I had the axles, and I'll just experiment and see what I come up with. I also have a 9.5" 14 bolt that I have considered running for the clearance, but I hate c-clips. It is still beefy, I believe 1.4" 33 spline axles. I might run this untill I upgrade the front, it wouldn't be hard to swap the ff in later.

grinch

inner city redneck
The 9.5 14 bolt is almost bullet proof... even with c clips.... Like I said almost... Steve and I managed to break one in Cedar City UROC comp last year....If your set on running a 14 bolt ide get the full floater and cut and plate the bottom... Its alot of work i.e. turning down the ring gear 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. cutting the housing and welding on a plate to the bottom. Making a new diff cover. If you do this you can get almost as much clearance as a dana 44.... I have heard rumors that Charles (I cant rember his companys name but im sure half the guys on this board do) has a guy who will do everythig except the cover for a reasonable price..

spiderman

Amish dude
Hmmm... Never heard of cutting and plating it, just shaving 1" or so off the bottom. Do you mean actually cutting the ring gear down to a smaller diameter? That's gotta affect it's strength.

grinch

inner city redneck
Yes It means cutting down the ring gear.... Trust me with the gigantic ring gear the 14 bolt has its not gonna hurt the streanth factor in a samauri buggy. It makes the clearance problems of the 14 bolt go bye bye and still keeps the strong shafts.....

grinch

inner city redneck
The guys name is Charles (I dont know him personally) He builds custome axles.... I think his company name is Rocky Mountain Axle..... Hicky On this board knows who he is. He told me about him so I could a shaft cut and resplined. Try asking him.... Or one of the shop owners on the board should know how to get ahold of him.....