Front axle -----68 Ford 3/4 camper special.

660griz

I have been give a 1968 Ford 3/4 camper special pickup in a 2wd. I am seeking advise on putting a 4wd axle under the front end. Any ideas on what axle would work? Hoping to maybe upgrade to a newer version. 3/4 or 1 ton axle. I would be using a 205 transfer case also. Just any help would be nice. Also planning on a 4-6" lift. Maybe not appropriate for this sight, but seems like everyone on here is always swapping axles on different vehicles. Thanks in advance for any help.

Toad

Most Ford axles back then were junk. 3/4 tons up until mid year 77 were low pinion 44. I think they were closed knuckle till 75ish. You will want a dana 44 or 60 from a 78-79 f250.

660griz

thanks for the replies. I will look for the 78-79 yrs. Would a high pinion 60 out of an 85 work with out a lot of work? Saw a front 60 and rear 70 on craigslist for 700.00 just wondering.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If you're going to run leaves there isn't really any advantage to using a 78-79 Ford 60. The reason they are desirable is the short side is longer and fits a coil bucket easier. In my opinion it's a non issue to run an f350 dana 60 even through the ball joint years. Your leaf spring spacing will be different on later years, but changing leaf spring mounts on the frame is easier than swapping tubes on an axle.
Plenty of companies make offset leaf mounts to weld on.

Toad is right to recommend newer than 76 (on an f250) to get discs and open knuckles. You can convert an earlier axle, but they the clocking on the knuckle studs makes it difficult.
You can use a 76 or 77 f-150 dana 44 axle and cut off the "C"s and weld on leaf spring pads and run 8 lug outers too.

Mr. N's website is a good resource.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Toad

You might notice that Gravy recommended 76/77 f150 front dana 44. Most of the the 78/79 axles had the Cs cast into the tube instead of welded on like the older ones. I had a 78 Bronco that had the Cs welded on. So use caution with the 78/79 front axles.

You might consider superduty axles also. Great big disk brakes front and rear. The Sterling 10.5 is a good axle. It is not super popular in the off road community I think mainly cause the 14 bolt has been around so long and is cheap. The biggest hang up for most people seems to be the metric wheel bolt pattern. Really not a big issue if you swap both axles. Usually you can find 60/10.5 combo for 500 ish bucks