front brake issues

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
my front brakes have been randomly locking up... not completely, but enough to notice... once or twice has been really bad, but generally not totally locked up...

any ideas as to what might be causing this? i think the front brakes are shot at this point anyways due to the first time it happened i was on the freeway... so they smoked for a few minutes, but were fine after 10 minutes or so...

*Note: my brake setup - V6 calipers and vented rotors, V6 master cylinder, V6 dual diaphragm brake booster.. on a '85 4runner

-Jason

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i forgot to add that when they feel like they're locking up, the brake petal is super stiff... like pushing against the floor stiff... like there's tons of pressure in the system..

-Jason

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
maybe sticking caliper

This is my thought, too... I'd replace the rotors, calipers, pads and hardware. Nothing like shotgunning it, but with what your describing, it sounds like you have multiple issues going on. The sticking is probably calipers. But if you got them that hot, you could have warped the rotors and ruined the pads. So you might as well just get you some loaded calipers and replace everything.

Of course, I carry all of these pieces, and can do it cheap... ;)

Meat_

Banned
This is my thought, too... I'd replace the rotors, calipers, pads and hardware. Nothing like shotgunning it, but with what your describing, it sounds like you have multiple issues going on. The sticking is probably calipers. But if you got them that hot, you could have warped the rotors and ruined the pads. So you might as well just get you some loaded calipers and replace everything.

Just take the whole axle apart, throw it away and put in a 60.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
maybe sticking caliper

that's the general consensus i've heard back about it...

I think it's because you drive a POS toyota.

you suck

... So you might as well just get you some loaded calipers and replace everything.

this is what i plan on doing after i tear into them tomorrow... and you're kinda far for parts ;)

Just take the whole axle apart, throw it away and put in a 60.

no thanks... after a hi-pinion e-locker, my front axle's done...

-Jason

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
ok, ok.... PM me with a price on fully loaded calipers...:) (for a v6 4runner)

-Jason

$300 to your door and in stock. A1 Cardone (I prefer them over other brands) bolt on ready calipers with Raybestos rotors. Schucks online is $348 for the same setup with no shipping or tax (another $28) included.

There is also a $100 core charge on the calipers, so it would actually be $200. I pay for the return shipping on cores. You simply stick the label on the box, and let FedEx do the rest!

Oh, BTW, I used a 90 Runner to look up the parts in case it matters....

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
$300 to your door and in stock. A1 Cardone (I prefer them over other brands) bolt on ready calipers with Raybestos rotors. Schucks online is $348 for the same setup with no shipping or tax (another $28) included.

There is also a $100 core charge on the calipers, so it would actually be $200. I pay for the return shipping on cores. You simply stick the label on the box, and let FedEx do the rest!

Oh, BTW, I used a 90 Runner to look up the parts in case it matters....

good to know... i will be doing this once i have money to my name... ;)

as for now, i've had some guys on Pirate/Yotatech tell me to check the freeplay in the petal/booster rod.. as it might not be retracting all the way, causing the fluid to heat up and get stuck which can cause the fronts to lock up... all this because of the v6 booster that i put in recently.. apparently this happens here and there with the bigger dual diaphragm v6 booster... so, that's what i'll look into this weekend.

thanks

-jason

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
as for now, i've had some guys on Pirate/Yotatech tell me to check the freeplay in the petal/booster rod.. as it might not be retracting all the way, causing the fluid to heat up and get stuck which can cause the fronts to lock up... all this because of the v6 booster that i put in recently.. apparently this happens here and there with the bigger dual diaphragm v6 booster... so, that's what i'll look into this weekend.

thanks

-jason

That could very well do it as well... Wouldn't that be an easy fix ;)