front ford dana 60

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
But....a superduty 50 will look just like a 60 and be 8 lug as well. Only way to know for sure is to pull the cover and get the # off the r/p or get the BM # off the axle tube. Or pull a shaft (inner)....35 spline=60.

Edit 8 on 6.5 or 8 on 300 for the SD frt.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Yup, 78-97 are D60's
78-79 are King Pin and preferred by most and seem to be the most expensive to buy, rebuild, etc. They are also the hardest to find.
80-97 are mostly ball joint D60's, still hard to find, not as expensive to buy, or re-build, and it is certainly easier to service ball joints than king pins, but not as strong, and the high steer options arent as plentifull since most high steer arms out there go over the cone on the king pins.

These were all 8 on 6.5 except for some very few 7 lug bastard versions out of Canada.

98 Ford didnt make a F350.

99-02 most F350's had D50's, Unit bearings, not nearly as strong, very few locker choices and r&p selections, aka garbage.

03-current most had D60's, still the shitty unit bearings, but hey its a D60 so it cant be all that bad. IT IS! Fortunatly Dynatrac makes a conversion kit for it so you can run the very useful and stronger/conventional style sheel bearings, and Warn Premium hubs.

99-current are all 8 on 170mm

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Beerman said:
Yup, 78-97 are D60's
78-79 are King Pin and preferred by most and seem to be the most expensive to buy, rebuild, etc. They are also the hardest to find.
80-97 are mostly ball joint D60's, still hard to find, not as expensive to buy, or re-build, and it is certainly easier to service ball joints than king pins, but not as strong, and the high steer options arent as plentifull since most high steer arms out there go over the cone on the king pins.

These were all 8 on 6.5 except for some very few 7 lug bastard versions out of Canada.

98 Ford didnt make a F350.

99-02 most F350's had D50's, Unit bearings, not nearly as strong, very few locker choices and r&p selections, aka garbage.

03-current most had D60's, still the shitty unit bearings, but hey its a D60 so it cant be all that bad. IT IS! Fortunatly Dynatrac makes a conversion kit for it so you can run the very useful and stronger/conventional style sheel bearings, and Warn Premium hubs.

99-current are all 8 on 170mm

Hope this helps.

Early 80s F350s came with TTB HD50s. Once the solid front 60 came back it used kingpins into the 90s when it was replaced with the BJs. I also find the kingpins are actually easier to service

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
bobdog said:
Early 80s F350s came with TTB HD50s. Once the solid front 60 came back it used kingpins into the 90s when it was replaced with the BJs. I also find the kingpins are actually easier to service

....and the cost of a kingpin rebuild kit is about equivalent to a pair of ball joints, too.

Crinco

Ford Dana 60's

I got one of those 78 FORD High pinion Dana 60 beasts. It took an hour and 20 min. to cut through the axle tube to narrow it with a chop saw! The down side is that the axle shafts are very weak looking, and narrow down real small. I replaced the shafts, joints, gears, kingpins, hubs, seals, added a locker, new cover and yoke (1350). I am sitting at about $3200.00 in the axle, cheaper than a dynatrac, maybe stronger too.
The axle is listed as a "snow package and Camper special axle", so the heavy tube and kingpins.

On Pirate there is a "Dana 60 Bible" that covers how to identify a Dana 60 or 50 axle by the number stamped into the front of the axle tube. It will tell you what year, model of axle, it's good points and bad points, where to get parts what the part number are, ect.....I printed it out and used it alot for my axle build up.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html
I hope it is OK to put this on here.

R

rockdog

Um,I got a high pinion 60 out of an 86 f350. It was king pin. So they must of put king pin 60's into the 1980's trucks too.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rockdog said:
Um,I got a high pinion 60 out of an 86 f350. It was king pin. So they must of put king pin 60's into the 1980's trucks too.

Yep, they didn't switch to balljoints until around 1990-ish, like bobdog hinted at. There were a couple years in there they had both (probably just used whatever was laying around), because I've seen a 1991 kingpin D60, and a 1990 balljoint D60.