front hitch for XJ

devilbikerdude

anyone here put a hitch on the front of there Xjs before? i want a winch but i would have to move some of my lights and do lots of other things, but mainly i want a hitch mounted winch so i can take it off when im driving around town so non of those damn little punks can jack my winch. and i could move it from back to front, i think its a cool design and am looking forward to it, thanks:)

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I have a hidden hitch bolted to the front. I like the added strength it gives to the front unibody, but it does kill the approach angle. I have been driving with it for years and I definitely negotiate obstacles with it in mind. If I was intrepid enough, I could cut off the receiver portion and mount it above the bar while notching the bumper. For $89 through JC Whitney, it was definitely a good deal. A chincy harbor freight hitch basket makes dragging coolers and camping gear easy....Especially when I had to drag Specurai's old Sammi junk around with a tow bar.

front-reciever-two.jpg

34313.gif

jdub

Scrambler
You should ask badger to show you pics of his set up. I've thought of this design too, he's already perfected it. My favorite part is that it's not only share-able for your front n' back, you can share it between vehicles too! Plus I don't know about you guys but any more weight you add to your rig it gets slower around town. If you're taking a trip on just pavement you can leave the "excess weight" at home.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
well i wouldn't say perfected...... but damn close.the only thing i had left to do was wire in a few switches to make it go from 12v to 24v when the batteries weren't connected to the engine for welding with the Ready Welder.

i liked my removable winch it came in handy but at the same time it was a hindrance.it comes down to what you do and how often.when i lived in Jersey where the only thing was mud and stumps it came in handy.most times you would have to be winched backward since it only gets deeper and since i have a bad habit of wheeling alone it was worth it.

now out here it could be helpful at times but a pain at others.if you know you have to climb something then its wise to put it on first .problem with this (as pointed out) is you lose approach angle.at the same time i could winch myself down Eagles Nest if i felt like it.

so it comes down to what you want ,how often you plan on using it,and what type of wheeling you do.

jdub

Scrambler
Badger? I think the back works flawless. Doesn't interupt the departure angle because it's inside the vehicle. Just a silly idea... Would a higher mounted winch in the front work? Obviously you cant zip-tie the reciever to the radiator coils but just wondering what would happen if the placement was a little higher?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
mine was only inside when not being used.

while in use in the rear it took away from departure angle but not much

tiremount3.sized.jpg

look closely under the tire

tiremount2.sized.jpg

i have seen some custom made front and rear bumpers the work in conjunction with a custom mounting plate.they made it so the winch sat up and over the bumper like it would be if it was solid mounted.