Front Hitch Receiver Mount Point

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
I am wanting to use one of these for a front hitch receiver.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97019

Thing is, I am unsure of the weight rating of it being able to support my truck. I need to look at my door jam but from what I have read online, my truck weighs in at just over 5000#. That hitch receiver has a max trailer weight of 5000#.

I have taken a look at the frame of my Dodge Ram 1500 and it has a very stout C frame with a welded in support that goes across the front (not exactly at the ends of the C, but about 1/3 into it if that makes sense).

I would be using it as a mount point for a removable winch (one winch front/back). I realize that the "weight" the winch has to pull goes up when you are stuck so would a 5000# mount be to little for my truck? Is it possible they rated it off the bolts holding it on (I would bolt in place, then weld on)?

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Ya. And the rating is twice as much. Here is how it would attach. I took some pics last night of my frame but I don't have a card reader at the moment.

Attachments

• C-Frame.jpg
    C-Frame.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 5

Bart

I think sheet metal screws to the front bumper would be fine, maybe add a tie in back to the oil pan?

JK, sorry, it's Friday, I couldn't resist.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
i think sheet metal screws to the front bumper would be fine, maybe add a tie in back to the oil pan?

Or maybe a freebish berring to offset the dynamic breaking effect of the wattage converters that are so common in these new winches these days!!

But then i'm no expert!!!;)

jk, sorry, it's friday, i couldn't resist.

x2:d