Front or Rear?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Front. Then weld the rear until you can afford another locker out back.:D I can no longer imagine wheeling with just one (or none, though there was a time...).

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by RockMonkey
Front. Then weld the rear

I would say if you are running 33 or smaller weld the rear, more predicatble, cheaper, and if you don't like it you are out $0.60 worth of welding rod... plus chicks dig the chirping tires :D

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
One thing I know is that the only good thing about a lockright is that it will slip every now and then. Meaning less axle breakage. A solid weld or ARB will break axles a lot more due to not giving. I would wait to weld or spool an axle till a major upgrade is made.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by SmokinCamel
One thing I know is that the only good thing about a lockright is that it will slip every now and then. Meaning less axle breakage. A solid weld or ARB will break axles a lot more due to not giving. I would wait to weld or spool an axle till a major upgrade is made.

Yup what he said...:D On a Trail onlly rig, this might not be as important but all of the added stress of a full-time locker/spool/welded will cause undue stress on your entire drivetrain, birfs, shafts, joints, etc...:(

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
REAR!! :D

Your rear will be a lot less prone to breakage. Also, it's fun to be able to be locked but in 2wd.Also, as Greg mentioned you will use your locker most when going up inclines and due to our good friend gravity, weight distribution will tend toward the rear. This way you can get the most possible traction. :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
people that prefer front lockers scare me. I have had my rear in my zuk for about 2 years now and I love it. I haven't done the front because There have only been a few situations where I wished I had one. I will probably spool or weld the rear and relocate the locker up front. that is part of the benefit of drop otu 3rd members, just swap the side gears and the front diff=the rear diff...:)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by spencurai
... that is part of the benefit of drop otu 3rd members, just swap the side gears and the front diff=the rear diff...:)

Get a Toyota and you don't have to change out anything... Front=Rear..:D

Is the sidegear swap the only difference in the Sami 3rd? I have always wondered the difference...:confused:

fergusor

lockrite or welded is close to the same strengh. It is only as strong as the carrier is. I have run a lockrite and a welded and have never had a problem. I know that you can by a rebuild kit that has the pins for the lockrite which is the other week point for $8 from randys r/p

94rodeo

I went rear first for al the given reasons. Then i put one n the front, I wish it was a selectable one for turning reasons.

Troy

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

Yup what he said...:D On a Trail onlly rig, this might not be as important but all of the added stress of a full-time locker/spool/welded will cause undue stress on your entire drivetrain, birfs, shafts, joints, etc...:(

Undoubtedly there is more stress but I was running a LS prior to welding the rear, and broke two rear shafts, one on the street :eek:

Since I welded the rear, no probs???

The only thing I can think is that the harsh engagement of LS was beating up my shafts?? mostly just a SWAG....

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Oh, and while I'm at it. Why have 1, when you can have 2 for twice the price? That's my take.;) But if you don't live on the edge, put one in the rear DIFF. first.:D

Box Rocket

bored
I've only ever had a rear locker and I've been through just about every trail I've ever wanted, lots of 4+ stuff and have only had a few time (last Saturday being one of them) when I thought I wanted a front locker too.

As everyone else has said, go with the rear first and if you don't want the crappy road characteristics, go with an ARB. It's been great for my DD that sees at least 65 miles/day over the past 3 years that I've had the locker in it.

Rear's what I'd do. When you need the traction most is giong uphill when weight is loaded on the rear wheels. I don't think they have all that many bad habbits, the cheapest locker, a lockright or quicklock ratchets around corners and really isn't too noticeable. At least for me.