front pinion nut fell off

Dominic

This is actually all my fault for not dealing with this when it came loose the first time. So now the nut fully disappeared and my drive line was just laying on the cross member. My question is since my hubs were not engaged the front pinion didn't move there shouldn't be any damage inside, Right? Is there anything else that could have gone wrong that I should check out before just putting a new nut on and torqueing it down?
Thanks
Dominic

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
How did the nut come off if nothing was turning? :confused:

Other than that, yes you should be OK since your hubs were unlocked. I'd pull the cover and check stuff out just in case though. Is this on your ZJ?

Dominic

How did the nut come off if nothing was turning? :confused:

Other than that, yes you should be OK since your hubs were unlocked. I'd pull the cover and check stuff out just in case though. Is this on your ZJ?

Yep on the Zj. I am not sure if it just vibrated off or what. It back off on me a few weeks ago when I was grouse hunting. I took the driveline off and tightened it as best I could on the trail but I hadn't gotten around to putting a new nut on.

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
The pinion nut sets the preload on the bearings. So it could trash those as well as let the pinion walk. But if the hubs weren't engaged and the tcase never made it into 4wd then you should be golden.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
when you put the new nut on, if it's not one of those snazzy self-locking metal deals, you can stake it at 2 or 3 points around it with a punch and a hammer.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Dom, if you want/need help with this, feel free to give me a shout and we can do it at my house. Or if my impact wrench will torque the new nut tighter than yours will, or whatever....

A new pinion seal isn't a bad idea, if your old one is at all suspect.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Dom, if you want/need help with this, feel free to give me a shout and we can do it at my house. Or if my impact wrench will torque the new nut tighter than yours will, or whatever....

A new pinion seal isn't a bad idea, if your old one is at all suspect.

x2