front tires wearing weird

1993yj

I have an 03 Dodge Ram Hemi that I just put a Tuff Country 4.5" lift on with some Toyo 35" MTs. Before the lift I was running some MTR 305s. The front MTRs were wearing weird with the back of each individual lug wearing down faster than the front. I didnt worry about it too much as I knew I would be getting new tires soon. I have about 5k miles on the new tires, and I did new shocks and alignment back then too, and now they are starting to wear the same way. I know that there was a thread about cupping and what may cuase it. With my new shocks and alignment though I am not sure what may be causing it now. I also know that big heavy wheels and tires can be a B to balance, but I dont think that would be causing this. Any thoughts?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
1500 or 2500 (IFS or solid axle)? That does sound like a weird wearing pattern, though. (Oh, just noticed your sig....2500) If everything is still 'on' in the alignment sector, I'd just rotate them front/rear at the oil changes. I did that with both my sets of MT/R and had pretty good luck with them wearing evenly (I got about 25K on a set and traded them off (went with a bigger tire) at 'half' tread, and got about 15K on another set and sold the rig--roughly 3/4 tread again, but they had a little rougher life). Now that I think about it, I think that's 'normal' and why you should rotate.

1993yj

Yeah, 2500, solid axle.

I was thinking about rotating too, I ususally just dont do it that often. But if thats what I gotta do...

BII_freebee

make sure everything on your frame is bolted tight sometimes the new dodges after you put a lift on they need to be re tightened after 3000 miles or so. also if you have bad shocks that can cause problems with cupping also. and camber is not always the culprit it can be aggressive caster too take it to les schwab they check it for free then tell them you'll bring it back and you just wanted to see if it needed to be aligned. of course on a new kit you probably will have great shocks. I agree with rotating any mud tire every 3 thousand miles my baja claws started to but slowed down when I rotated them more often

BII_freebee

also if you're gonna use it off road a lot don't sipe the tires but if if you don't then sipe them I got almost 60,000 miles on my last 40,000 mile set trust me it helps for not cupping more but if you off road with them you will destroy them.