Jeep frozen long arm

moab 4x4

I hoping someone can give me a good tip on loosening a terraflex long arm. I put new adj.upper control arms on my 04 wrangler unlimited along with some acos spacers for a little more lift to clear 35's. When we finished the install we went to align the front end but the lower driver side won't turn. Anybody got any quick fixes, we didn't have a torch to heat it up and I was worried about the heat messing with the joint or weakening the arm. We sprayed it with penetrating lube tapped on the arm while trying to turn it nothing worked, the passenger turned easily after loosening the jamb nuts. I am open to any idea's. Thanks Joe

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I hoping someone can give me a good tip on loosening a terraflex long arm. I put new adj.upper control arms on my 04 wrangler unlimited along with some acos spacers for a little more lift to clear 35's. When we finished the install we went to align the front end but the lower driver side won't turn. Anybody got any quick fixes, we didn't have a torch to heat it up and I was worried about the heat messing with the joint or weakening the arm. We sprayed it with penetrating lube tapped on the arm while trying to turn it nothing worked, the passenger turned easily after loosening the jamb nuts. I am open to any idea's. Thanks Joe

If the arms have been on the rig for a while and weren't originally assembled with some sort of anti-sieze or ample amounts of lube, you may be SOL... I have seen several sets of mal-lubricated arms ruined forever this way. Don't be afraid of the heat though, the amount you should need to bust it loose won't give you issues with strength. My only concern with the heat would be cooking the bushings in the joint, which can be replaced if necessary.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just remember, everytime you heat something, it returns smaller then what it was before you started. That will make it much more difficult next time you do this. Be sure to clean the threads and anti sieze them before putting them back together.

moab 4x4

Just remember, everytime you heat something, it returns smaller then what it was before you started. That will make it much more difficult next time you do this. Be sure to clean the threads and anti sieze them before putting them back together.
I didn't know that I will make to do that before we put it back together.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Yep. Bought my first oven a few years ago. It's so small now that we have it sitting on top of the counter and can only use it for making toast and cooking frozen corn dogs.