Fruita, CO desert riding in July

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's July... daytime temps are pushing 100 degrees... and I wanted to ride. What to do? I fired up the bike early in the morning at 7 AM and headed into the desert to ride before it gets too hot.

First thing I did was hit the singletrack trails in the North Fruita desert... awesome! Lots of slow stuff, hill climbs and wash crossings mixed in with fast & smooth riding! The video is uploading, will post it up when it's done. I rode the singletrack from 21 Road over to 16 Road, then headed up 16 Road into the Bookcliffs, over to the top of Hunter Canyon (aka 21 Road) and dropped in, headed down the rocky 21 Road trail.

The videos are kind long, I trimmed them down quite a bit, but didn't want to take too much out. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPWfeHXvJA

[YOUTUBE]JIPWfeHXvJA[/YOUTUBE]

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looks like a pretty cool trail especially on a dirt bike :cool: I think some of those sections would really wear me out on a hot summer day lol.

Judging by that I think you're ready for 5MOH ;) :D

Greg

Admin
Looks like a pretty cool trail especially on a dirt bike :cool: I think some of those sections would really wear me out on a hot summer day lol.

Judging by that I think you're ready for 5MOH ;) :D

It's a fun ride on a dirt bike, way fun in a 4x4. ;)

There was a point at the top where I had killed the bike too many times in a row and the weak battery wouldn't turn the engine over fast enough, so I had to kick start it every 10 feet or so. That got old fast and I ended up taking a 30 min break trying to cool down and catch my breath. :ugh:

I don't think I'd run 5MOH until I had an auto clutch, my ability of working the clutch in technical riding isn't that great, but definitely better after yesterday! It was good practice though!

Looks like pretty rough going, I like it. :)

It was good fun, jumping off the rocks and ledges was really a blast! The water was a nice touch too, with the shade it helped take the edge off the heat.

Greg

Admin
I keep watching these videos over & over.... I really want to do this same ride again next weekend!

I really dig the cameras POV, this was the first ride out with the new wide angle GoPro and I'm quite happy with it. Watching the vids make me feel like I'm out riding again, love how you can see the handlebars & hands. :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I keep watching these videos over & over.... I really want to do this same ride again next weekend!

I wish I could join you! :chris: There is/was (not legal anymore :() a section of trail out in the West desert very similar to what you were riding at the first of the second vid. I cannot describe the amount of arm pump it will give ya--it was brutal! :ugh: For some reason watching that reminded me of it lol.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
finally got a few minutes to watch.

VERY impressive!

Looks like your a dam good rider Greg! Pretty sure Im not ready for that yet.

:eek:

Greg

Admin
Greg, do you typically work the first part of the week (Sun. thru Wed.)?

I think I need to make a trip out there soon...

Monday thru Thursday, most of the time. You should come out Von, there's plenty of riding to do. It's going to be pretty warm for the next while, perhaps we ought to ride around the end of August, beginning of September?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Monday thru Thursday, most of the time. You should come out Von, there's plenty of riding to do. It's going to be pretty warm for the next while, perhaps we ought to ride around the end of August, beginning of September?

I don't mind high temps, but I'm open to suggestions for dates later in the summer if that works better. Just let me know when you have some time available and i'll see what I can do about my currently odd schedule.

Greg

Admin
I don't mind high temps, but I'm open to suggestions for dates later in the summer if that works better. Just let me know when you have some time available and i'll see what I can do about my currently odd schedule.

I'm so far out of shape, heat & hard riding gets me sweating like a whore in church. :D

Let me get to the gym and get into better shape over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll be better prepared to show you around. You're more than welcome to stay here when you come down, we've got a guest room that rarely gets used.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I'm so far out of shape, heat & hard riding gets me sweating like a whore in church. :D

Let me get to the gym and get into better shape over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll be better prepared to show you around. You're more than welcome to stay here when you come down, we've got a guest room that rarely gets used.

Deal! :D

MattL

Looks like your having fun on that bike and yeah it looks pretty technical. Briefly, how much difference do you notice between the yamaha 250 you had and this bike.