fuel cell questions

Caleb

I bet the circle track has a better sump, the drag racers just need it in the rear and they are going to get fuel for their few seconds...circle track would get the fuel sloshing pretty good I'd imagine so it would likely need a better sump and better baffling. These are just speculations though :D

Caleb

the circle track ones claim the pick up is in the right rear corner.

does this mean its fixed in that position or I can reposition it?
ah, that would make sense since circle track is always making left hand turns...if you can move the pickup depends on the type of pickup. If it is a hose type pickup then I don't see why you couldn't move it, or modify it. If it has a sump that drops out the bottom of the tank then I doubt you could easily move it short of redoing the bottom of the tank.

Caleb

here is a pic of mine, you can see how the sump dropped out the bottom in the center with the fuel pickup and return lines right there.

cell_sump.jpg

if it were me I'd get which ever one has the sump in the center (or can be relocated to the center).

James K

NO, I'm always like this
here is a pic of mine, you can see how the sump dropped out the bottom in the center with the fuel pickup and return lines right there.

cell_sump.jpg

if it were me I'd get which ever one has the sump in the center (or can be relocated to the center).
how many gallons was it?

did you run into any fuel starvation problems?

Meat_

Banned
how many gallons was it?

Mine looks pretty much like Calebs.... mine got mounted with the sump in the front, it has foam, I have never had a problem with fuel delivery, I don't know how much it holds, I think the most I've ever put in it was around 7 gallons....

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
on that same rci link, look at the "Drag Race Cells" The one on the buggy looks like it might be the 12 gallon one (based on battery size next to it).

Caleb

how many gallons was it?

if I remember correctly it was an 18 gal, I never had any starvation issues and I didn't have any foam. Talk to Cody, Carl, and many others about the RCI aluminum cells, they crack (I'll leave it at that). I had the 2161AC and sold it before I ever put it in and bought the poly cell, no worries about leaks.

EDIT: I just looked it up and found out that my cell was a 16 gal, it's a pro-street Jaz tank from Jegs and it came with a 0-90 ohm fuel sender.

Last edited:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
if I remember correctly it was an 18 gal, I never had any starvation issues and I didn't have any foam. Talk to Cody, Carl, and many others about the RCI aluminum cells, they crack (I'll leave it at that). I had the 2161AC and sold it before I ever put it in and bought the poly cell, no worries about leaks.

:eek: :eek: :ugh: :-\ :sick:

Where did they end up cracking?

p.s.

cracks appeared to be from simple vibration?

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I still think that the best solution for starvation is a seperate, small sump tank mounted down line from the main tank. A verticle tank is also a big help IMO.

Caleb

:eek: :eek: :ugh: :-\ :sick:

Where did they end up cracking?

p.s.

cracks appeared to be from simple vibration?
They pretty much always crack along the welds. The aluminum RCI tanks are not welded at all actually, they are brazed together. I can't say exactly what the cracking is from but I know guys have tried isolating the tanks with bushings even and they still end up cracking.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I had a poly circle-track cell and hated the pickup. It's just a tube routed to the corner, and that tube can/will migrate to where you don't want it. I had to either disassemble the filler part of my cell to fit my arm in it to put it back, or find someone with skinny arms that would do it for me. Did you know dipping your arm in gasoline kinda burns after a bit?

The "drag" cells with the sump are much better for that reason if nothing else. As Caleb said, I had issues with my RCI aluminum cell cracking along the seams. I had it fixed repeatedly, then finally plated over the seams with additional AL strapping to keep it from happening again. I think part of the issue is the thin gauge of metal they make them from, for light weight--the fuel sloshing is too much for them to handle. (mine was a 12 gallon IIRC, the 8gal and smaller don't seem to have the issues)

James K

NO, I'm always like this

EDIT: I just looked it up and found out that my cell was a 16 gal, it's a pro-street Jaz tank from Jegs and it came with a 0-90 ohm fuel sender.
I remember hearing about the seams cracking. I am planning on a poly cell and the pro street configuration is looking to be my best option.

If I wasn't so lazy I would just build another fuel cell, but alast I am feeling lazy.:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Mine is similar to Caleb's. 12 gallon, I think. Never had a problem with it as long as it has gas in it.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I had it fixed repeatedly, then finally plated over the seams with additional AL strapping to keep it from happening again. I think part of the issue is the thin gauge of metal they make them from, for light weight--the fuel sloshing is too much for them to handle. (mine was a 12 gallon IIRC, the 8gal and smaller don't seem to have the issues)

Sounds like any aluminum tank might be susceptible to the same problem? How exactly did you apply these AL strapping?