Fuel Cells

anvil

stp189 my bad. I meant Affiliated, Kaiser is the name stamped on the sheet. You could call around, but I doubt you'll find it cheaper. If you do let me know where. There is no compatibility problems between Al and fuel. Al is often used for fuel tanks on boats and planes.

ryan iversion 1/8" stainless is a pretty serious fuel tank. I guess you won't need a skid plate. I was looking at something around 1/16" when I was considering stainless.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Out of curiosity, why do you want to build your own? If it's because you like to fab stuff and just want to do it. Cool, I understand. Knock yourself out. If it's because you have very specific space/shape/size requirements, okay. Before you jump in though. You should check out the poly cells. They're cheap, work great, and um, they're cheap! And they work great! You'll spend a ton more making your own aluminum one (not to mention the time it'll take), then just buying a poly one that comes with all the right fittings and what-not built in.

stp189

RockMonkey said:
Out of curiosity, why do you want to build your own? If it's because you like to fab stuff and just want to do it. Cool, I understand. Knock yourself out. If it's because you have very specific space/shape/size requirements, okay. Before you jump in though. You should check out the poly cells. They're cheap, work great, and um, they're cheap! And they work great! You'll spend a ton more making your own aluminum one (not to mention the time it'll take), then just buying a poly one that comes with all the right fittings and what-not built in.

I have a very specific size that I need. It can only be 10" high. I haven't found a polly tank any where close to that spec. Right now the tank I have designed is 24"x28"x10" which comes out to be around 30 gallons. I was going to go to 40 gallons but 30 is a good round nimber. If you know of a poly tank like this, let me know. It would be the way to go. The way I am going it is still going to be under $200. I don't think that is to pricey for that big of tank.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
stp189 said:
I have a very specific size that I need. It can only be 10" high. I haven't found a polly tank any where close to that spec. Right now the tank I have designed is 24"x28"x10" which comes out to be around 30 gallons. I was going to go to 40 gallons but 30 is a good round nimber. If you know of a poly tank like this, let me know. It would be the way to go. The way I am going it is still going to be under $200. I don't think that is to pricey for that big of tank.
You're right, that's an odd size. (and a HUGE capacity!) Have fun building!

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
whats this going into? because those measurements sound like exactly what i measured for my burb, to fit in between body and frame, but be much higher than original so build me one too, c'mon... please?

stp189

BURB-STYLE said:
whats this going into? because those measurements sound like exactly what i measured for my burb, to fit in between body and frame, but be much higher than original so build me one too, c'mon... please?

It's going into my Pinzgauer 6x6. I am taking off the stock tank to get more clearance. 18 inches just isn't enough.

If you want to pay what I am paying for it, I can look into it. I am going to start the beginning of next week.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
stp189 said:
It's going into my Pinzgauer 6x6. I am taking off the stock tank to get more clearance. 18 inches just isn't enough.

If you want to pay what I am paying for it, I can look into it. I am going to start the beginning of next week.

You don't work in Holladay, do you?

fordy4

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why not a steel tank? I have been looking into this myself and saw a jaz 22 gallon 25 5/8" x 25 5/8" x 9 1/4" with a right rear pickup. I like the fact that I could put it flush with the floor and still not be below the frame on my bronco, but Is there a problem when going with a shallow tank and not being able to pick up fuel at extreme angles? Or a problem with the jaz steel tanks?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
fordy4 said:
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why not a steel tank? I have been looking into this myself and saw a jaz 22 gallon 25 5/8" x 25 5/8" x 9 1/4" with a right rear pickup. I like the fact that I could put it flush with the floor and still not be below the frame on my bronco, but Is there a problem when going with a shallow tank and not being able to pick up fuel at extreme angles? Or a problem with the jaz steel tanks?

No problem with JAZ that I know of, they seem to make pretty good stuff. Most of the steel tanks I know of also have a bladder inside--they're pretty cool, but usually expensive.

With a shallow/wide tank you may have fuel delivery problems when the fuel level is low and you're on an angle. Holley makes a system with multiple pickups that looks pretty cool, but I have no personal experience with it.