Undecided
What fuel cells are you running ?

With or with out foam?

With or with out baffles?

Or just your basic opinion on them.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
We ran the aluminum genright fuel cell for a tj for awhile. It was too big so I tried finding one to replace it. Out of fear for cracking and RCI2161a I switched to a plastic 10 gallon Jazz cell, the JZP-260-010-01. Still running the foam that came with it, but plan to use walbro pickups sometime in the future.

bamacpl

I run the RCI 2161, but had to beef it & I added foam to it. Befor all that it cracked all oner-- no problems since

STAG

On my grind
I ran a Summit Racing brand 15 gallon polyeurethane cell with foam, it was okay, it worked. But wasn't fancy by any means. I did like the foam, never had any sloshing issues.

B2-Bomber

i wish i had baffles or foam on mine. i bulit mine myself, 14ga plate steel, coated with "KREEM" fuel tank coating, but it sloshes so much that it wears out the fuel gauge because even in normal driving the needle swings back and forth a lot. i replace the gauge every few months.

mine is 18"x18"x13" so it is just over 18 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon). there is an acess panel on the top that is 8"x8" with screws every inch, i had a chevy in tank pump/sender in it but i went with a universal sender, an i opted for an inline pump that draws out the bottom in the interest of "on-the-trail" serviceability. if i have a fuel pump fail i can replace it in a matter of minutes.

it is the high pressure pump found on late-80s ford trucks, it can run up to 90psi and like 40gpm, and can be found in any auto parts store, the quick connect style fittings accept a hose slipped over them and clamped around the "ring" easily. the connectors are just standard flat spade connectors.

here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-iufj9Z8vcz2?itemIdentifier=386516_26874_3171_

i have run these pumps on 9 psi throttle body injected trucks (it just sends a bit more back to the tank via the return line), and 60+ psi mpfi trucks. and for $90 its a steal, and works well with fuel cells, and is easy to change on the trail if your tank is up under your truck like mine is. if your cell is exposed i don't think it'll save much time

Last edited:

AX10TOY

Undecided
Custom aluminum one. Uses the stock pump and sender.no foam

Does yours have a sump?

i wish i had baffles or foam on mine. i bulit mine myself, 14ga plate steel, coated with "KREEM" fuel tank coating, but it sloshes so much that it wears out the fuel gauge because even in normal driving the needle swings back and forth a lot. i replace the gauge every few months.

mine is 18"x18"x13" so it is just over 18 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon). there is an acess panel on the top that is 8"x8" with screws every inch, i had a chevy in tank pump/sender in it but i went with a universal sender, an i opted for an inline pump that draws out the bottom in the interest of "on-the-trail" serviceability. if i have a fuel pump fail i can replace it in a matter of minutes.

it is the high pressure pump found on late-80s ford trucks, it can run up to 90psi and like 40gpm, and can be found in any auto parts store, the quick connect style fittings accept a hose slipped over them and clamped around the "ring" easily. the connectors are just standard flat spade connectors.

here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-iufj9Z8vcz2?itemIdentifier=386516_26874_3171_

i have run these pumps on 9 psi throttle body injected trucks (it just sends a bit more back to the tank via the return line), and 60+ psi mpfi trucks. and for $90 its a steal, and works well with fuel cells, and is easy to change on the trail if your tank is up under your truck like mine is. if your cell is exposed i don't think it'll save much time

The sloshing is my biggest worry , summit sales the foam, i'am looking at the rci 2161a pretty hard because it would fit better in the toyota

notajeep

Just me
I have a summit racing fuel cell with foam. it is 16 gallons I think. I picked that one because of the dropped sump.

B2-Bomber

yeah i could easily stuff some foam in there through that huge 8"x8" hole. i drive mine every day and i guess i just have been lazy, maybe another day

B2-Bomber

I have a summit racing fuel cell with foam. it is 16 gallons I think. I picked that one because of the dropped sump.

i opted for a perfectly square cell, with a flat bottom that i drilled a hole and welded a 90-degree fitting into for a pickup. my reasoning was that with a flat bottom so no part is any lower (or higher) than another, and a centered "drain" that no matter what angle i was on, uphill/downhill/sidehill, and no matter what amount of fuel was in my tank i would have the greatest likelyhood (sp?) of gathering fuel from the tank.

if there were a dropped sump it would work great when i was angled so the fuel flows towards it, but any time i was on an angle away from it, the pickup would be even further away from the fuel. necessitating more fuel in the tank to make it.

so only if your fuel level was really low would be when the problem was worst. like after a day of wheeling and your fuel is low, and you are pointed downward, so the drop-sump would be a double-whammy and your engine might run out of fuel

AX10TOY

Undecided
i opted for a perfectly square cell, with a flat bottom that i drilled a hole and welded a 90-degree fitting into for a pickup. my reasoning was that with a flat bottom so no part is any lower (or higher) than another, and a centered "drain" that no matter what angle i was on, uphill/downhill/sidehill, and no matter what amount of fuel was in my tank i would have the greatest likelyhood (sp?) of gathering fuel from the tank.

if there were a dropped sump it would work great when i was angled so the fuel flows towards it, but any time i was on an angle away from it, the pickup would be even further away from the fuel. necessitating more fuel in the tank to make it.

so only if your fuel level was really low would be when the problem was worst. like after a day of wheeling and your fuel is low, and you are pointed downward, so the drop-sump would be a double-whammy and your engine might run out of fuel

That's a good point i always fill up my runner before so the tank is full most of the time ,would only really help if fuel level was low and the trying to keep fuel in the sump would be hard, i know that there are pro race tanks out there that have a trap door type sump that fuel says in the sump but they are big bucks

B2-Bomber

i fill up before too. but all day of going up a mountain can burn a lot of fuel. Or like a buddy of mine up A.F. canyon last weekend he chafed through a fuel line on his rig and was seeping fuel at first, then pouring fuel as it got worse, so he lost fuel inadvertantly. and it wasn't until he pointed back downward that it really started pouring (his rig is carbureted with a mechanical fuel pump) as the fuel shifted toward the leaking line.

i also considered small-aircraft style with a dangling hose and a heavy "clunk" at the end of it to follow the fuel wherever it goes, but that involved having to draw the fuel up through the top and fuel pumps don't like to "suck" they like to "push". that and if that hose cracked even a little bit it would suck air instead of fuel so i decided to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and do it the best way without adding any unnecesarry complication/failure points because getting at the top of that tank up under my truck on the trail is an ordeal especially if it has a bunch of fuel in it.

simple, well performing, and trail-serviceable

Last edited:

AX10TOY

Undecided
i fill up before too. but all day of going up a mountain can burn a lot of fuel. Or like a buddy of mine up A.F. canyon last weekend he chafed through a fuel line on his rig and was seeping fuel at first, then pouring fuel as it got worse, so he lost fuel inadvertantly. and it wasn't until he pointed back downward that it really started pouring (his rig is carbureted with a mechanical fuel pump) as the fuel shifted toward the leaking line.

i also considered small-aircraft style with a dangling hose and a heavy "clunk" at the end of it to follow the fuel wherever it goes, but that involved having to draw the fuel up through the top and fuel pumps don't like to "suck" they like to "push". that and if that hose cracked even a little bit it would suck air instead of fuel so i decided to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and do it the best way without adding any unnecesarry complication/failure points because getting at the top of that tank up under my truck on the trail is an ordeal especially if it has a bunch of fuel in it.

simple, well performing, and trail-serviceable

Good point ,,:)

When i mount the one i buy it will have access as i will be behind the rear seat, because toyota's low tank hanging ( i hit mine a lot).

I like to use parts the i can find just about anywhere too.