Fuel delivery

kb7sei

I know some of you are running cells, so maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

I picked up a Summit 20Gal cell. It's a nice setup, IMO. It has a small sump in the bottom, which seems like it would help.

Then I got to thinking about angles of opperation. It seems to me, that at about half a tank I can get fuel starvation if I get tippy. Obvoiusly, with what we do, I can't just figgure that certain anges will never happen! :D

So, I had read about people putting a floating pickup in there. A flexable tube with a weight on the end and set up to keep it from sucking against the wall of the cell. That way, gravity will take it to where the fuel is. I also heard that normal rubber fuel line will not work in this application. They said that it doesn't like being submerged in gasoline. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of something that will work.

I also read about using a smaller tank, about 1 gallon, as a feeder of sorts. It would supply the engine, and be fed with a second pump from the main tank. Seems more complicated than it needs to be though.

So, what have you done with fuel pickups? Am I overengineering this? I've been known to do that. :D I'd like to have decent fuel delivery at any angle that doesn't involve a rollover down to about 1/4 tank.

I've also heard horror stories about the foam in the cell. Has anyone here had problems with it? I don't care if the gas sloshes around, I won't be able to hear it anyway. But it might help keep the gas where it needs to be.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I've also heard horror stories about the foam in the cell. Has anyone here had problems with it? I don't care if the gas sloshes around, I won't be able to hear it anyway. But it might help keep the gas where it needs to be. [/B]

only bad thing I have seen with the foam is when hot rod guys run alcohol through em. The alcohol sorta melts the foam and breaks it down, then it gets into the fuel system. I have never heard any complaints with gas though. I have been running my cell for awhile now and no signs of foam break down.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
yeah, but I do have delivery problems. Like on the street if I take a hard corner when its low (like 2 or 3 gallons left) it'll bog out. I don't know how to fix it?? I just try to keep at least a half a tank full. ;)

kb7sei

Have you tried wheeling it yet? Seems like getting on a hill not unlike the hills I've been wheeling on I would lose fuel at half a tank or so. The two ideas I mentioned are the only ones I was able to come up with. If anyone has another one, I'd love to hear it.

S

sukaB

We have a soloution for running
and not out of gas up to about half a gallon........

This would require our setup and no plastic tanks.

I personally don't like the foam

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by sukaB
We have a soloution for running
and not out of gas up to about half a gallon........

This would require our setup and no plastic tanks.

I personally don't like the foam

Whats up with this post?? is it supposed to be a teaser or something???? I have something better that everyone else...but I'm not telling what it is. I just want you guys to know I have it??:rolleyes:

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by kb7sei
Have you tried wheeling it yet? Seems like getting on a hill not unlike the hills I've been wheeling on I would lose fuel at half a tank or so. The two ideas I mentioned are the only ones I was able to come up with. If anyone has another one, I'd love to hear it.

Oh yeah, I have wheeled mine. I haven't had any problems offroad... just on road with really low fuel levels. What are the dimensions on the tank? It would be pretty easy to figure out the minimum amount you could have per angle.

kb7sei

I don't know the dimensions, the tank is in Layton with the rig right now. It's the same one you have though. I'm about ready to mount the thing on a gimbal and be done with it. :D

And I agree, sukaB, how about you tell us what your system is and why it's so great? Who knows, you might have a couple customers here!

S

sukaB

Well Secret's are secret's......
What's cool is when I'm upside down it still doesnt lose fuel pressure.....Tested.....
95 psi pump hehehehehe

kb7sei

Originally posted by sukaB
Well Secret's are secret's......
What's cool is when I'm upside down it still doesnt lose fuel pressure.....Tested.....
95 psi pump hehehehehe

Okay, if it's some sort of trade secret, why not just tell us where to buy and how much? You have contributed nothing usefull to my thread as yet, it would be nice if you would.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I wish the technical forum was for shareing and the for sale forum would be used for selling. All anyone is asking for is general info Suka. If I remember right a while back everyone was keeping their eyes peeled for the guy that owed you money. I don't remember anyone saying whats in it for me. Every one knows you have some trick stuff but not everyone can afford it and some people take pride in doing their own work. How many people are going to be cutting open their aluminum cells and welding their own baffles in anyway.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not sure how applicable this is, but alot of aftermarket FI guys use a secondary tank to ensure their motors stay fueled. By adding a small 4"x4"x4" tank under the hood, they can ensure that it will have enough fuel to run the motor until it can be leveled out. They plumb these in the main line coming from the exsiting tank so there is no inout needed from the driver, basically the main tank pumps into the mini-tank and the minitank pumps into the FI or Carb. Good Luck

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
this is similar to the tank I built on my CJ5. it mounts behind the rear seat. I have a drawing but it's too big to upload here, I will email though.

kb7sei

I'd love to see that drawing Jeremy. I mentioned in my original post a basic idea for a mini-tank. Seemed like it would work. A diagram of a working system would be excellent and very helpfull. Unlike some other posters. :rolleyes:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll try and find the website that had info on the mini-tank. The website is about TBI conversions on Landcruisers but it has some good overall info. Now that I think about it, they used a low pressure-high volume pump into the mini-tank and a high pressure electic pump into the FI unit. They might have even used the stock mechanical pump as the feeder for the mini-tank...can't remember right now but I will look.

kb7sei

It's travis@tabbal.net . Thanks!

curiseroutfit: Please do let us know if you find that website. I'll do a little searching and see what I can find as well. Is there a real name for this multi-tank setup that might show up better in searches?