Fuel filter?

Will3161

Went up wheeling today and my xj went crazy and acted like it was running out of gas. Totally lacked any power. It's been having problems getting started for the last week or so (ever since I got it really) and I know the fuel pump cycles (I can hear it). It also idles really low. I'm planning on replacing the fuel filter to start with. Any suggestions?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Try the filter first and if that doesn't help, change teh pump.

the hard starting could be because the pump is loosing it's prime and leaking internally. You'd be able to see it with a fuel pressure gauge.... It should hold pressure for a few mins after shut off.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Check the fuel pressure before you replace anything. If it's low (or you don't have a fuel pressure gauge) replace the filter first, since it's cheap and probably should be done anyway. I know TJs don't have an external fuel filter. What year is your XJ? I'm not sure if they all have one.

If the fuel pressure is fine you may have a plugged catalytic converter.

Another possibility would be the crank position sensor.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Check the fuel pressure before you replace anything. If it's low (or you don't have a fuel pressure gauge) replace the filter first, since it's cheap and probably should be done anyway. I know TJs don't have an external fuel filter. What year is your XJ? I'm not sure if they all have one.

If the fuel pressure is fine you may have a plugged catalytic converter.

Another possibility would be the crank position sensor.

90 XJ should be a metal filter on the frame rail...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The catalytic converter being plugged up would only apply if it is a fairly constant lack of power, and constant low idle. If it is an intermittent problem, I'd say you're on the right track with the fuel system. I would also doubt that your TPS is causing this. Good luck!:)

Oh, and if you're interested, I have a new XJ fuel filter you can have for half of whatever Auto Zone sells it for...

Last edited: