Fuel Pump ?????

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
I have a 99TJ 4.0 5 speed with around 135K. In the last couple weeks I have been having the following issues with it running.

-When taking off from a stop the engine will hesitate, no power. Have to press the clutch in and rev it up, almost like it is running out of gas.

-Twice it has stalled from a stop, will not fire back up. Acts like it wants to start. After letting it set it will eventually fire up.

-Yesturday when driving I could not get the RPM's up, i could floor it and nothing. Sometime though it would clear up and take off, the RPM's would be back. It has happened several times that when taking off the engine would almost act like it had no fuel and then just go, like a quick loss of power.

No codes will show, i replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. I am thinking it may need to be replaced, or maybe the crank sensor????

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I had some hesitation and hard start issue with my 98 cherokee. Changed the crank sensor and all is well since yesterday.

chans

Maybe also change the fuel filter. I had the same problem and had junk clogged in the filter.

RockChucker

when my fuel pump was going out, it was kind of the same deal. i would be cruising along and my jeep would cut out like it was running out of gas. and the HP was suffering too. it was fine for street driving but as soon as i hit the freeway it was like it couldn't supply the volume at the needed pressure. new fuel pump and it was as good as new.

this may sound stupid but it is very common. before you spend the money on a new pump or CPS pull the old pump out and check the short pick up hose the clamps on those come loose and the hose falls off the metal tube. all you have to do is put the hose back on and use i new better clamp and your good to go, this has happened to my xj and mj plus a tj and another xj. it's just a common problem that exist from company's short cutting their design.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Also check the fuel pressure regulator, check the fuel pressure, SLS has an inline pressure guage for $50 that is good for 100 psi.. I would think the pressure or volume is low.

I had vapor lock in my truck and it did the same thing, the pump was going out, and this was a new pump.