Full-Float to Semi-Float D60 conversion

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm thinking of building another rear axle. I have access to FF D60 for a sweet price. Needs to be shortened, converted to Semi-Float 6 lug, and it needs to be Cheap!

What are my options? I can cut down the housing myself. I'll probably end up ordering SF Moser shafts. Now what I really need to know is:

1- What bearing retainers? Big Ford 9" bearings?
2- What brake system? Drums are definite right now (cheap), but what backing plates and drums for a 6-lug setup? Redrilled Ford 9" Drums?

It is either that, or find a J-20 with the SF rear 60. :(

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Herzog

you know, about mid summer, there was a J-20 for sale near my house. they were asking $800 for it. When I drive by, I don't see it anymore, but there are a few vehicles kind of behind the place. It could be back there.

I'll look to see if I still have the number for the guy. If you're interested and I don't have the number, I could probably stop by there and find out.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
wow, I think you answered your own question, very well done! You got it on the nose.:D

Thanks! I was wanting conformation! So basically a 60 center & tubes, with 9" bearings & brakes. Good to know! :)

Originally posted by BlackSheep

you know, about mid summer, there was a J-20 for sale near my house. they were asking $800 for it. When I drive by, I don't see it anymore, but there are a few vehicles kind of behind the place. It could be back there.

I'll look to see if I still have the number for the guy. If you're interested and I don't have the number, I could probably stop by there and find out.

If you are willing to get the number, that would be great. I am just trying to figure out if the SF D60's that came in some of the J20's were 6 lug or 5. I'm pretty sure all the later models are 8 lug.

:cool:

Caleb

I am just trying to figure out if the SF D60's that came in some of the J20's were 6 lug or 5. I'm pretty sure all the later models are 8 lug.

I am 91% positive they are 5 lug:D:D:D

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
If you are willing to get the number, that would be great. I am just trying to figure out if the SF D60's that came in some of the J20's were 6 lug or 5. I'm pretty sure all the later models are 8 lug.

Herzog,
I drove past the guys place today, and believe it or not, the j20 was parked right in front of his house next to his other 10 rigs. I knocked on the door and asked him about selling it, but he said he wasn't going to during the winter (he's got it equipped with a plow).

Possibly, he'll put it back up for sale in the summer. I'll watch out, but right now it is not for sale.

and, I apoligize, It was right there, and I didn't take a look at the lug pattern :(

jd

harkinoff

something to do...
I'm thinking of building another rear axle. I have access to FF D60 for a sweet price. Needs to be shortened, converted to Semi-Float 6 lug, and it needs to be Cheap!

What are my options? I can cut down the housing myself. I'll probably end up ordering SF Moser shafts. Now what I really need to know is:

1- What bearing retainers? Big Ford 9" bearings?
2- What brake system? Drums are definite right now (cheap), but what backing plates and drums for a 6-lug setup? Redrilled Ford 9" Drums?

why? this must be a wheel issue....eight are better than six:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by BlackSheep

Herzog,
I drove past the guys place today, and believe it or not, the j20 was parked right in front of his house next to his other 10 rigs. I knocked on the door and asked him about selling it, but he said he wasn't going to during the winter (he's got it equipped with a plow).

Possibly, he'll put it back up for sale in the summer. I'll watch out, but right now it is not for sale.

and, I apoligize, It was right there, and I didn't take a look at the lug pattern :(

jd

Thanks for doing that! That is cool of you! I'll probably have this other one torn apart by the end of February, so I wouldn't worry about it. Thanks again!

Originally posted by harkinoff

why? this must be a wheel issue....eight are better than six:D

It's also a match my front D44 pattern issue. And if I'm going to shorten it, I might as well make it semi-float and 6 lug! :D

BTW - 6 lug > 8 lug. :p :D

Jam76

Foothill offroad sells a weld on bearing cup and axles to to use the Toyota pick-up brakes and bearings on full floater Dana 60's. I think they are $120.00 for the bearing cups and $350.00 for the axles and that would give you the 6 lug you are looking for.