Fun in the cold at Little Sahara

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Me and a few friends decided to brave the winter temps and head out to Little Sahara this weekend. A good friend and his neighbor joined me, and my two brothers-in-law for a day of fun and cold fingers.

DSC_0183.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and began the day with a hard crash on my 450R. I had just let the bike idle for a few minutes while I got my gear on, and decided to wheelie myself over to the men's room. I ended up wheelie-ing myself over backward at about 30MPH on the frozen sand. The biggest casualty was my pride. But, there was also a broken brake lever, a badly bent grab bar, several scratches on me and the bike, a bent wheel, a very sore butt, and many little abrasions and bruises to help teach a lesson. Sorry, no pics of the aftermath, as there were people watching and I had to get back on the bike and ride!

It was Alex's (my 16 year old bro in law) first trip to the dunes and he was borrowing my friend's Honda 250. It's a fun, sporty little bike and he got the hang of things pretty quickly.

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

After an hour or so, my confidence had returned and it was back to two wheels much of the time....

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

No trip to Little Sahara is complete without a few runs to the top of the mountain!

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

Day trippers like myself don't have the luxury of a motorhome and kitchen. Tailgate parties are the order of the day. I'm the nerdy guy in the glasses!

DSC_0003.jpg

Overall, it was a great trip. We stayed warm most of the time and shared a few good memories. The wet sand was incredible and you could climb anything that wasn't covered in show. Also, I was given a friendly reminder to warm up on the bike before getting too crazy, and not so show off in front of a crowd! I'm just glad we didn't have to reset the "X days since last serious injury" sign at the ranger station.

DSC_0114.jpg

Thanks to my bro-in-law Trevor for the photos!

Last edited:

Corban_White

I used to go to the dunes all the time in the winter! Never would put the paddle tire on though-ice and paddle tires on bikes don't work well! :eek: Looks like fun.