Future rig planning thread

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
This is just me spitballing and guessing throwing out prices to try and get an idea...I could be very wrong on a lot of this since I'm just glancing at what i can find quick right now.

LQ9 and 4L80E - call it $3500 ish for engine and trans based on some pricing I could find online. Maybe could find it cheaper maybe more when the time comes
Atlas - $2400 new if I want to save some money and go with the Atlas II
Axles- $1100 purchase price plus $3500 in parts(just a random number I threw in my head) so call it $6000 invested in axles if I do it all myself unless I find a smoking deal(no that's not bad math just me giving a little extra)
Coilovers- $2500 new(quick pricing online with springs)
Drivelines- Call it $700 to give me some wiggle room(guessing a little high)

Jeep $4000 (minus what ever I can sell) depending on what deal I can get call it $2000 in the end to be conservative.

Tires- $2000 minimum for new tires probably closer to $3000 between shipping and tax and actuall purchase price.

Wheels- just say I go with cheap aluminum at $225 a pop $900. I'll likely go cheaper.

Link ends for four links- quick pricing with link kit from RuffStuff $1700 for front and rear

Add in another $5-7K for steering and DOM and all that other crap that nobody thinks about when building a rig and this is pushing 30K.

Feel free to correct me on any of these prices since I did this while pricing with the first solid price I could find on this stuff. I know some stuff can be had for quite a bit cheaper I just don't want to give myself any misconceptions about how much this will cost.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There will always be all the small things that add up too... trying to break down the actual budget for building a crawler is sometimes sickening! Don't forget things like the radiator, hydro steering, seats, trans coolers, etc, etc, etc.

You'll need a controller for the 4L80e, but don't let that scare you away as it's a good transmission. The US Shift from Baumann Electronic Controls is a great choice, it's very tunable and affordable compared to the other controllers. http://www.usshift.com/

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
There will always be all the small things that add up too... trying to break down the actual budget for building a crawler is sometimes sickening! Don't forget things like the radiator, hydro steering, seats, trans coolers, etc, etc, etc.

You'll need a controller for the 4L80e, but don't let that scare you away as it's a good transmission. The US Shift from Baumann Electronic Controls is a great choice, it's very tunable and affordable compared to the other controllers. http://www.usshift.com/
I know what you are saying. Thats what the extra 5-7k is for. I have lots of time to price out steering, radiator, fuel cell and fuel system, electrical, sway bars, brake lines, wiring and all that. I know a lot of people want to jump into a build like this thinking they can do it cheap. I already know nothing in the wheeling world comes cheap and right at the same time with something like this.

Luckily I have a friend in New Mexico who I worked on three different LS swaps with. The first one was a LS1 '38 LaSal. Next was a '93 YJ with a 5.3 then we did a 5.3 in a '72 Chevy custom cab. Since I left he has done quite a few more and has become quite proficient at the computer tuning side of things so he will be my guy when it comes to the ECU and trans controller. As well as a wealth of knowledge on specific fitment issues for the radiator and fuel pump and other little things.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Yeah, the other options are almost double that and more!

Wow...I honestly hadn't looked into trans controllers but I know you have some experience with them so I'll take your word on this one. I'm sure this is going to come up more in my research.

Obviously this is assuming I go with the prefered 4L80E. I could go with a TH400 and keep it simple but since I will likely be registering in Oregon it will be a "street legal" rig so keeping some minor drivability will be nice with the modern trans.

I should go back and just take out the 4l60E from my original post. I see no point in going with a 4l60E or 700R4 with the goal of this build. No sense in spending almost the same amount of money on a weaker trans. And if I went with a 6.0l it's native to the 4L80E as it stands and should help in finding an engine trans combo.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So my wife didn't totally flip out when I told her that this would likely cost 30K or more. That's good news for me. Maybe it's just because it's so far out she probably doesn't feel like getting into it.