Gambler 500

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Sounds pretty epic. The insurance thing scares the hell out of me.

What insurance thing?

I've got a line on a 97 Montero. A buddy here at work would be willing to "sell" it to us, with the idea that we rally it and then weld up his cracked exhaust manifolds before we "sell" it back to him. Unless we total it, in which case we give him his $500. It's in rough shape but is being daily driven so it shouldn't take much to get ready. So that's an option, if we don't want to deal with actually buying a rig and then selling it when we're done.

We should get organized, have a breakfast or something and hash some details out. I don't know for sure that I'm in until I hear back about my time off, who else is definitely in and who else is trying to make it happen?

Kevin B.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I was hoping for more of a dessert race. That would be awesome. Or a least a race of some sort. So I guess I don't really get the point of this. Why do I want to go sightseeing in a beater? There's got to be something I'm missing?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I was hoping for more of a dessert race. That would be awesome. Or a least a race of some sort. So I guess I don't really get the point of this. Why do I want to go sightseeing in a beater? There's got to be something I'm missing?

MMmmmmm, a dessert race sounds tasty. :)

Kevin B.

Well, it's still a race I think. The Gambler500 is to desert racing what the 24 Hours Of Lemons is to road racing. It's lighthearted, it's silly, and it's slightly dangerous. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What insurance thing?

I've got a line on a 97 Montero. A buddy here at work would be willing to "sell" it to us, with the idea that we rally it and then weld up his cracked exhaust manifolds before we "sell" it back to him. Unless we total it, in which case we give him his $500. It's in rough shape but is being daily driven so it shouldn't take much to get ready. So that's an option, if we don't want to deal with actually buying a rig and then selling it when we're done.

We should get organized, have a breakfast or something and hash some details out. I don't know for sure that I'm in until I hear back about my time off, who else is definitely in and who else is trying to make it happen?

Most races I've participated in carry insurance and/or a pretty dictated liability waivers for all involved i.e. you hit a spectator or competitor and there is some legal standing. This race seems to be sans permits, sanctioning or insurance and your regular auto insurance is going to laugh at you if you get into a fender bender or worse yet an injury accident.