Game of "B.I.K.E." - beginner version

sixstringsteve

Cool. Post #1 has been updated with all the players. We will leave the invite open 'till Oct 28th.

Feel free to post up the video before the week time limit.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I like a week because it gives people time to practice and learn the trick (assuming they've never done it before). That being said, if everyone wants to bump it up to 3 days, I can handle that.

sixstringsteve

if anyone needs some help with the video upload, let me know. I'd be happy to help. You can do it straight from your phone to youtube.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So the list on page 1 is the order in which someone has to post a video if the challenge isn't met?

sixstringsteve

No. We will have a new trick every week. I added a schedule to post #1. Everyone is assigned a different week. For your week, you have to pick and film the trick for that week.

Every Monday, the next person down on the list will start a new trick for the week. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Agreed, manuals are VERY hard. But I guarantee you can do one off a curb and have your back wheel land before your front wheel. Just ride faster and pull up, and you'll land rear-wheel first. That's not quite a "manual" but it'll count for this trick. For this trick, you don't even have to "manual" per se. Your back wheel just has to hit before the front (like the first run in my video). Go as fast as you want.

Once you can do that 20 times in a row, slow it down. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll learn to find that balance point. Then keep practicing and slow it down as you get better.

You'll be surprised how being able to do this will really transfer to the mountain when you're riding. Being able to manual over stuff has HUGE benefits on the trail.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Just ride faster and pull up, and you'll land rear-wheel first. That's not quite a "manual" but it'll count for this trick. For this trick, you don't even have to "manual" per se. Your back wheel just has to hit before the front (like the first run in my video).

I did that much. I'll see if I can get it a little cleaner before I tape it though. :D

sixstringsteve

Cool. That's what the game is all about: working on a new skill for a week until you're better. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll improve at this.

A few tips for anyone struggling with this:

#1 --> lower your seat as much as possible (unless you're using a BMX or DJ bike).

#2 --> One common mistake with manuals is that people lean their head forward towards their bars while pulling up. You don't want to do that, you'll never find your balance point. Watch my head in the video. It goes back, not forward. It's all in the hips. You want to shift your butt/hips back away from the bars so you're balancing over the rear axle. Think of your bike and body as a giant teeter totter that's pivoting on the rear axle. That'll help you realize how much weight you need behind the rear axle.

#3 --> don't lift the wheel by bending your elbows (like a pull-up). To do it correctly, you'll be pretty close to locking your elbows and arms straight so you have room to get your butt behind the rear axle (like a push-up, only you're pushing your body back).

You'll still initiate the manual with your arms, but you'll be doing it by shifting back, rather than bending your arms toward your chest. You'll keep the front end up with your weight transfer to the rear. Pulling up this way, it's next to impossible for beginners to loop out. You REALLY have to get back there to loop out. And if you do start to loop out, tap your rear brake, or hop off and land on your feet.

As Lee McCormack would say, "heavy feet, light hands."

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

For some more advanced manualing (I need to learn this still), here are a couple helpful vids:

[video=youtube;Hk9ll6YABGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9ll6YABGg[/video]

[video=youtube;-McFIAlP0Ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-McFIAlP0Ow[/video]