Garage Design, Software, Pro

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
Garage Design update!

Ok I am just about ready to build a garage. I want to build a 30x28 and I have a good idea of what I want and what the city will let me do. I have the plan in my head and need to know if anyone has used any of the many building software that are out there to create a blue print and or if anyone is an Architect and wants some work. I bought some plans online and the city said I still need them stamped for this area. Anyone have any Ideas? I have since change design so these plans will not work. Let me know what/ who you have used. Thanks
Dan
p.s. I am in SLC

Last edited:

anvil

I've used LEI in Spanish Fork. A house usually costs a few hundred to have it engineered if you already have plans. I'm guessing a garage would be around $50.

Try to dig up some software and do the plans yourslef. A garage is pretty simple. You might find some simple design software available at the library. If you are a student or know one you could buy AutoCAD at the UofU bookstore. You could also post up a sketch. Maybe someone is bored at work and will draw it up for you.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I was under the impression you don't need an architect stamp for home plans?

LEI is good, I've met most of the people there, but I've never done personal business with them, so I don't know their rates.

I think you can download a shareware version of AutoCAD, if you really want to do it yourself. I've heard that with the student versions, whatever you print out has a watermark on the page that says "student version" or something like that.

I'm a drafter if you need work done, but I can't stamp anything. Let me know if I can help.

Devin

CJJ92yj

A garage is about the simplest things there is as far as details. To submit to the city, you will probably need a plan view showing the basic walls and openings in them. Then there will need to be a few concrete details, as well as a few framing details. What SLC is looking for is to have a drawing that has been checked structurally by an Engineer. Basically the engineer will check/design the headers at the openings and the basic wall structure itself. He will also check/design the concrete reinforcement to make sure it is adequate to accept the load it will see by the structure and other items of suitable weight.

PM me if you want and I could draw it up for you. I can't stamp them, as I am not an Engineer, but I work with one.

Chad

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
yep, that's all the plan ya need! hehe. Just go to Lowe's and get a Green Triangle Piece (tm) for the roof, an Orange Rectangle piece for the high part, and a Red Square piece for the back. You're set!

heheh. Just kidding. Please post what this ends up costing you, I'm thinking about buying some land to put a big shop/garage on one of these days.

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
so Slc just changed regulation and restictions to building and it seems I need to go find out what all the changes are. I might not be able to build what I thought I could now. Anybody know the size of garage/ hobby shop you can build that is detached it your house is a duplex? What the new set backs are, hieght and any other mess up stuff I guess I really need a profesional for? And I will share any and all stuff I find out. And how much it all cost.

STPPINZ

In Kaysville 1000 sq feet is all they would let me do (kind of small I thought). I just piggy backed it on my house plans and it wasn't a big deal.

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
So I went to the planning office to find out all the new rules and regs the other day. Here they are for r-1 5000:

1. Detached garage (secondary structure) can be no bigger than 720 square feet for single family dwelling and 1000 sq ft for multi-family
2. can not be greater in size than 50% of the primary building square footage foot print.
3. max hieght of 17 feet and ridge line.
4. no more than 40% of lot can be covered by buildings.

So everything got smaller. There are a few more but the one nice thing is if you get adjecent neighbors to sign off they can make administrative exceptions to a few of the rules.

So my place is a duplex and my sq feet would allow me to build about 820 sq feet. I am going to apply for an exception for max hieght and my sq feet becuase I want it a little bigger but be under the 1000 sq ft max.

so 32x28 is what i am going to try to do.
I called LEI and they said about $250 to engineer some plans
and they reffered me to someone in sandy to draw them for about $800.
Anyone think they could do them for alot less? I might just buy some. this is what I am think with a few changes like 30x28 and maybe raise ceiling in part to 12ft to clear a two post lift.
http://www.behmdesign.com/garageplans/1502-1.html

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
up date on garage

Ok so it has been a while and a few thousand $ later. But tomorrow I start Framing the garage. Here is a pic for you all. It is 32x28 feet it is going to have 11 foot celing in the bottom floor and plenty of storage on the second. Engineering was expensive and I have to do some expensive stuff not to have any posts in the way. If anyone wants to come help frame the first floor come on over. I took this week off of work to work on this and I am behind two days waiting for wood.
Dan

Attachments

• garage w slab.jpg
    garage w slab.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 14

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Are those rgulations for SL City? Did you ever find a place listing them online? Or just have to go down to the office? What about setback from the property line?
Just wondering, hopefully there may be a need for this info in my future....

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
rckcrlr said:
Are those rgulations for SL City? Did you ever find a place listing them online? Or just have to go down to the office? What about setback from the property line?
Just wondering, hopefully there may be a need for this info in my future....

yes they are for slc. Set back is 20 feet from side walk. i live on a corner lot. 1 foot from property line 10 feet from dewelling. No i did not find them on line I just spent many days down at the office.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
lowe1974 said:
yes they are for slc. Set back is 20 feet from side walk. i live on a corner lot. 1 foot from property line 10 feet from dewelling. No i did not find them on line I just spent many days down at the office.

Cool thanks....the house that is hopefully in my future is a corner as well! Makes things a little easier.