Gas/Diesel prices

Crinco

So with Crude prices hovering at $50 per barrel now, in two weeks we should see gas-o-line in the ..... what, say $1.75 range per gallon and so Diesel should settle in at around ...... oh say, what , $3.95 per gallon???:mad2:
I am really happy to see prices coming down. I just hope things start to fall back in place and Diesel falls back to $0.30 per gallon below Gas where it belongs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Funny, huh?
CR

Meat_

Banned
So with Crude prices hovering at $50 per barrel now, in two weeks we should see gas-o-line in the ..... what, say $1.75 range per gallon and so Diesel should settle in at around ...... oh say, what , $3.95 per gallon...

nah, gas will hit $3 and diesel will hit $4.25. You know how it goes x happens, raise the price of fuel. x = anything. Actually it probably won't change much because they are going to be shutting refineries down for maintenance

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You switch the pricing boards in the middle of the night. Anyone good with that pole deeley with the suction cup? (don't think dirty)-_-

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
What's gay is this new ultra-low sulfur crap:mad2: It freezes a lot easier than the low sulfur, it's been -26 or thereabouts around here at night lately,freezing trucks everywhere (mine included)!! I also hear that fuel economy might be less with ultra-low:mad2: When are us diesel people going to get a break?!

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I'm thinking about jumping on the diesel bandwagon for a tow vehicle, kind of regretting it already, nervous about pulling the trigger on this one

Meat_

Banned
I'm thinking about jumping on the diesel bandwagon for a tow vehicle, kind of regretting it already, nervous about pulling the trigger on this one

You'll still be happy with it. You'll burn the same $$$ towing down to Moab with diesel vs gas and you will be MUCH happier on the trip.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
We owned a 23' boat for many years, and towed it to Powell every summer. I've towed my jeep around with the same vehicle used on the boat (about same weight). 3/4 ton 350 chev ...

So today, I test drive a 2003 2500 6 speed ram .. took my trailer with the 350, hooked it up to the ram, loaded the 350-3/4ton on the trailer and hauled it to park city from orem ... holly cow ... could not even tell the trailer was back there. I could not believe the difference

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What's gay is this new ultra-low sulfur crap:mad2: It freezes a lot easier than the low sulfur, it's been -26 or thereabouts around here at night lately,freezing trucks everywhere (mine included)!! I also hear that fuel economy might be less with ultra-low:mad2: When are us diesel people going to get a break?!

I haven't noticed a drop in power or mileage yet with the new ULS. I don't know the actual chemical analysis of it, but I would almost think that you would get better mileage / burn out of ULS, since sulfur doesn't quite burn through the compression ignition...

Any chemists around to comment?

Are you putting any extra winter additives into your tank? Does it still freeze after having the truck plugged in over night? I don't know how you guys stand that cold of weather! :eek:

Meat_

Banned
I haven't noticed a drop in power or mileage yet with the new ULS. I don't know the actual chemical analysis of it, but I would almost think that you would get better mileage / burn out of ULS, since sulfur doesn't quite burn through the compression ignition...

The biggest reason the low sulfer sucks is that diesels are made to be lubed partially by the sulfur (same as the lead that used to be in gas). Atleast your oil won't turn black in the first 10 miles with the low sulfur fuel :rolleyes:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just found some interesting info:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_6_72/ai_n16521060

ULSD has less Btu content than today's No. 2 diesel, meaning it produces less energy in the combustion process and therefore will reduce mpg by about 2%. For many truckers who don't clock their fuel mileage very closely, this will be a non-event other than paying more for the fuel. And driving practices from the best to the worst range can vary as much as 30%, so a 2% change will go unnoticed.

However, for big motor carriers that buy in bulk and have their own fueling stations, the changeover to ULSD will have a big impact. According to Steve Graham, who is equipment purchasing vice president for Schneider National, the giant Green Bay, Wis.-based carrier with the big orange rigs, a 2% fuel degradation on their fuel-efficient 7 mpg rigs means a drop of 0.14 mpg. Most fleets would never see it. Schneider says a 0.10 mpg drop fleet-wide represents $8 million a year, not including the rise in fuel prices. It's a no-brainer to predict that motor carriers will be raising their '07 rates to recoup these fuel expenses.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
The biggest reason the low sulfer sucks is that diesels are made to be lubed partially by the sulfur (same as the lead that used to be in gas). Atleast your oil won't turn black in the first 10 miles with the low sulfur fuel :rolleyes:

I have had to do a crap load of research on the subject and have talked to the the big wig chemist out at the refinery in NSL. They understand the importance of keeping fuel system components properly lubricated, so no worries there... ULSD has "lubricity agents" to offset the lack of sulfur. As more sulfur was taken out, these additives are introduced in an equal amount to what was lost. I have many customers that seriously freaked out when they began to see the ULSD stickers on pumps when the were first indroduced last September/October. I heard complaints of "rough idle", "power loss", "poor fuel mileage", and more. The interesting part is that everyone has been running on ULSD since June, and never knew (and the refineries and fuel stations were not obligated to announce it immediately to the public).

Now, this is the first time I have heard anything about ULSD gelling or freezing more so than types w/ more sulfur. However, didn't you start seeing fuel issues in the past when the temps dropped below -25* anyway (without anti gel additives)? Anyway, you may be correct with this. Personally, I plug my truck in religiously and have no first hand experience with diesel gelling. I didn't even think about discussing the low-temp characteristics of ULSD with my contact at the refineries either. Interesting stufff...

Meat_

Banned
I have had to do a crap load of research on the subject and have talked to the the big wig chemist out at the refinery in NSL. They understand the importance of keeping fuel system components properly lubricated, so no worries there... ULSD has "lubricity agents" to offset the lack of sulfur. As more sulfur was taken out, these additives are introduced in an equal amount to what was lost. I have many customers that seriously freaked out when they began to see the ULSD stickers on pumps when the were first indroduced last September/October. I heard complaints of "rough idle", "power loss", "poor fuel mileage", and more. The interesting part is that everyone has been running on ULSD since June, and never knew (and the refineries and fuel stations were not obligated to announce it immediately to the public).
Good to know. I haven't really noticed any change, but then I may still have some pre June fuel in my tank :rofl:

Now, this is the first time I have heard anything about ULSD gelling or freezing more so than types w/ more sulfur. However, didn't you start seeing fuel issues in the past when the temps dropped below -25* anyway (without anti gel additives)? Anyway, you may be correct with this. Personally, I plug my truck in religiously and have no first hand experience with diesel gelling. I didn't even think about discussing the low-temp characteristics of ULSD with my contact at the refineries either. Interesting stufff...
It was Yellowbronco that was talking about the jelling ;) If I know I'm going to start mine in the morning and I know it's going to be below 25 I'll plug mine in, other than that I don't bother. I started my Cummins the other day after a month of not driving it, it was -8F the night before and had only made it to 10F that day.... the light stayed on longer than usual but when I touched the starter it fired, made one grumble then idled normaly. I do usually have at least some PowerService in it though.

Last edited:

Crinco

You need to worry about your fuel gelling when the station you buy from doesn't blend their fuel. Blending should make the fuel safe down to about 10 to 20 below, but there is never any guarranty about that. Putting in an additive is the only safe thing to do.
Gelling is likely the only downside to driving a deisel I know of except for the cost of fuel now.
Better power.
Better ecomony.
Longer lasting engine.
Will run on Vegi oil, waste oil, Bio, almost any oil really.
Diesels are great!
CR

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Are you putting any extra winter additives into your tank? Does it still freeze after having the truck plugged in over night? I don't know how you guys stand that cold of weather! :eek:
Ok, you got me on that one, I don't have any additives in my tank. You Happy?! I don't know how we can stand that weather either..:D

Good to know. I haven't really noticed any change, but then I may still have some pre June fuel in my tank :rofl:

It was Yellowbronco that was talking about the jelling ;) If I know I'm going to start mine in the morning and I know it's going to be below 25 I'll plug mine in, other than that I don't bother. I started my Cummins the other day after a month of not driving it, it was -8F the night before and had only made it to 10F that day.... the light stayed on longer than usual but when I touched the starter it fired, made one grumble then idled normaly. I do usually have at least some PowerService in it though.

I plug in my truck every night, both of them:p :rofl: When I was fueling up yesterday I was talking to the gas station manager, she said our local mechanics are saying that the fuel is gelling in the lines between the tank and filter. But my Powerchoke is a lot more finicky than the Cummins, the Dodge just fired right up to rescue the old Ford!

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I was thinking the same thing about gas prices. With crude down how come gas and more importantly diesel prices aren't down. God knows if crude went up the prices of fuel would be up 10 minutes later.

Diesel more than premium, what a joke. I miss the days of $0.89/gallon diesel fuel. I could fill my truck up on $30, now it takes a Benjamin.

I haven't seen any problems yet with the ULSD, but I am skeptical so I run Powerservice in every tankfull.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
we have been using artic express additive at my work and it has been helping a lot. we were changing out fuel filters like crazy before we started to add this stuff, especialy on the pumps them selfs.

Meat_

Banned
Ok, you got me on that one, I don't have any additives in my tank. You Happy?! I don't know how we can stand that weather either..:D
PowerService ;)

I plug in my truck every night, both of them:p :rofl: When I was fueling up yesterday I was talking to the gas station manager, she said our local mechanics are saying that the fuel is gelling in the lines between the tank and filter. But my Powerchoke is a lot more finicky than the Cummins, the Dodge just fired right up to rescue the old Ford!

I don't know about the new Cummins, but the 24v's have fuel heaters that run at the same time the heat plate is on. Well one heater runs with the heat plate, and a different one runs after you start it, that's the drag on the motor you'll notice after it's running. And the fuel in the tank is warmed by the fuel that cools the injector pump (and is then returned to the tank)

Crinco

PowerService ;)

I don't know about the new Cummins, but the 24v's have fuel heaters that run at the same time the heat plate is on. Well one heater runs with the heat plate, and a different one runs after you start it, that's the drag on the motor you'll notice after it's running. And the fuel in the tank is warmed by the fuel that cools the injector pump (and is then returned to the tank)

With the Chevy the Fuel comes out of the tank and goes through a COOLER first then up to the filter/heater (I don't know how it heats it though, there is only the wire for the water sensor.:confused: ) then to the pump/injector where it cools the parts before heading back to the tank if not burned. I should put a cover over the cooler before it has a chance to gel up.
cr