gas smell inside the jeep

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
so now that it is cold with the heater going i smell gas really strong coming out of the vents. And when i went to warm up the jeep today their was a pretty good puddle of gas coming out of the tail pipe.

what good this be and what do i need to do to fix it. i about pass out everytime i drive it for a long time.

thanks for the help. oh and if this helps i have a 88 jeep xj with really bad mpg.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
i can not see anything leaking it just smells with the heater on. and alot of gas is coming out of the tail pipe.

Are you sure it is "gas" coming out of the tailpipe and not just water condensate? IE can you light the puddle on fire?... I would put $$ that you don't have gas coming out of the tail pipe :)

also can you smell the gas when you are driving or only early in the morning when you first start it up and it is in a rich running mode to get warmed up? are you parking it and warming it up in a closed garage?

TheJeepGuy

First it is not gas coming out of the tail pipe, that is condensation build up (this is normal all cars do this). if you dont beleive me light a match to it and watch it go out.
Second I had this same problem on my wifes XJ (1989), it was where the fuel line goes into the fuel rail on top of the intake manifold.

It smells like gas because as it get colds the seal shrinks and leaks and the vapors rise and then the heater sucks in the fumes because the vent is right above the fuel rail behind the hood.
Just my two cents, I could be wrong of course but I think there is a good chance I am right.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
Are you sure it is "gas" coming out of the tailpipe and not just water condensate? IE can you light the puddle on fire?... I would put $$ that you don't have gas coming out of the tail pipe :)

also can you smell the gas when you are driving or only early in the morning when you first start it up and it is in a rich running mode to get warmed up? are you parking it and warming it up in a closed garage?
i drove it for about a hour yesterday and it smelled the whole time. and i let it drip on my hand and it smelled like gas to me i did not light a match but im sure it is gas. oh and it is not in the garage it will not fit it's to big.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
First it is not gas coming out of the tail pipe, that is condensation build up (this is normal all cars do this). if you dont beleive me light a match to it and watch it go out.
Second I had this same problem on my wifes XJ (1989), it was where the fuel line goes into the fuel rail on top of the intake manifold.

It smells like gas because as it get colds the seal shrinks and leaks and the vapors rise and then the heater sucks in the fumes because the vent is right above the fuel rail behind the hood.
Just my two cents, I could be wrong of course but I think there is a good chance I am right.
so what did you do to fix it if you did? i just noticed it with in the last week or so.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
i drove it for about a hour yesterday and it smelled the whole time. and i let it drip on my hand and it smelled like gas to me i did not light a match but im sure it is gas. oh and it is not in the garage it will not fit it's to big.

Its not gas :) its water... anyhow if it is the fuel line to the fuel rail you may be able to replace the O rings or just a new fuel line :)

TheJeepGuy

fuel leak

Well, I did two things.
I also noticed a leak from the return line going into the fuel tank so I wanted to fix that first because I could smell that one when I filled it up. So fixed that leak with some JB weld and bought an assortment of O-rings to fix the fuel rail leak but then it stopped leaking!
So as of right now it isnt leaking but it might be because of the warmer weather lately and it stays in the garage because it is so little. lol

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Renix injected XJ's have kind of a reputation for leaking at the injectors and then burning the rig down. Fix it. Even if you can't see it leaking NOW, if you saw it leaking before the problem is still there.

Or get full coverage insurance, delete this thread, and hope for the best LOL

Last edited:

TheJeepGuy

Bosch injected XJ's have kind of a reputation for leaking at the injectors and then burning the rig down. Fix it. Even if you can't see it leaking NOW, if you saw it leaking before the problem is still there.

Or get full coverage insurance, delete this thread, and hope for the best LOL

it wasnt leaking at the injector, it was leaking at the main fuel line in to the fuel rail but I am still going to replace the O-ring on there.
It has been my sunday project to play with, its in really good shape and since I bought my JK I have run out of things to do so I bought this to tinker with.:)

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
thanks for the help i will get some o rings and check it out. i am going to be a fire fighter but i don't want to fight my first fire on my own jeep.