Gauges????

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
So I just bought a 03 duramax that is all stock. Main use will be daily driving with the couple times a year towing my 7k pound camper and a dump trailer from time to time. I plan on getting a cold air and exhaust and that is it. The truck already has a built in trans temp gauge in the dash. I was looking at the edge cts, but do I really need to see how much boost I am pushing or my exhaust temp and another trans temp? Should I save my $400 and put it towards something else or are gauges a must? I am new to diesels so any help would be great!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
EGT and boost are what I run for gauges, both are made by Auto Meter and paid around $135 for both but were good used ones from ebay. And yes they are important to have when towing, too high of an EGT can damage your engine. Some folks drive by their EGT readout when going up long hills, if it gets too high then they let off a bit on the gas pedal, loads of info online about it.

And welcome to owning your first diesel, there are some great folks over here who are a lot of help http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/

BoostedRNR

I wouldn't stress gauges myself till you chip/program it. I would put that money into an exhaust personally. The stock intakes on these trucks are just fine up to 4-500 horse from what all my d-max owning buddies say.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Congrats on your 1st diesel.

Stock or otherwise I would say that boost and pyro are mandatory. It is a bonus that you already have a transmission temp as that in my opinion is also mandatory.

The boost and pyrometer are fun to watch but beyond that they help you monitor engine health and can alert you to a sticking injector or a leaking boost tube or weak turbo.

The Torque app is awesome!

Tonkaman

I wouldn't stress gauges myself till you chip/program it. I would put that money into an exhaust personally. The stock intakes on these trucks are just fine up to 4-500 horse from what all my d-max owning buddies say.

As he said don't throw money away on an intake. I've seen LB7 engines over 550HP with a stock air box and filter. If you really want to make a difference in temps and spool time, buy a down pipe. The factory down pipe comes off your turbo then quickly flattens out as it squeezes between the firewall and engine, becoming the biggest restriction in the exhaust. Eliminating that oval shape dramatically decreases EGTs making for a much happier and healthier truck

Bart

How much do you tow? If you tow heavy loads and tow a lot, I'd get some gauges, if not don't worry until you get a chip/tuner. BTW, they come up for sale on KSL a lot. I bought my chip and digital gauge display for $100 and it fits into my overhead console.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
I tow my camper that is about 7k pounds at the most 4 times a year. I will be pulling a dump trailer a couple times a year as well. So not a ton!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Should I save my $400 and put it towards something else or are gauges a must?

If it was me I would put some of that $400 towards a transmission fluid change (don't let anyone try to sell you on a chemical/power flush---fluid change only) and filter before anything else.

I like stock intakes. The filter stays cleaner much longer than an open element and they flow plenty for what you're doing. Having a boost gauge and pyrometer is high up on the list but considering the mileage and age I'd be looking for worn belts, hoses, pulleys, suspension/steering components, wheel bearings and such first.

Where's the pics? :cool:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
If it was me I would put some of that $400 towards a transmission fluid change (don't let anyone try to sell you on a chemical/power flush---fluid change only) and filter before anything else.

I like stock intakes. The filter stays cleaner much longer than an open element and they flow plenty for what you're doing. Having a boost gauge and pyrometer is high up on the list but considering the mileage and age I'd be looking for worn belts, hoses, pulleys, suspension/steering components, wheel bearings and such first.

Where's the pics? :cool:

It's interesting you mention sticking with the stock air intake, there are several diesels that actually lost power after adding an open air setup because they no longer draw cooler air directly from outside the vehicle. Here is a great link comparing the Napa GoldWix replacement filter element with aftermarket units http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html and http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=11674

LT.

A stage 2 intake should be on your list to purchase as well as a turbo back exhaust. Your engine needs the added air flow. The engine will run cooler, EGT's will be cooler, and the truck will reward you with better mileage. An honest 1 to 2 miles per gallon can be achieved with the intake, exhaust, and careful application of throttle. Turbo Diesels can run too hot on the EGT's even with a stock tune. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. Pull your camper up highway 6 out of the valley with a stock tune, an EGT gauge, stock air box and exhaust and I promise you can see over 1,250 degrees on the exhaust manifold. The Duramax is a fantastic engine but, don't think for a second you can't damage it on a stock tune. The Duramax uses an iron block with aluminum heads. It is cheap insurance to buy and use the EGT gauge. With the price of rebuilding a modern turbo Diesel it just makes sense. Spend a little now just to monitor and keep things in check or spend a bunch later repairing the damage.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I will be more than happy to explain any thing you may have questions with. And if I can't answer them I bet I know someone who can.

LT.