Gear Experts please help!

oxbronco

So I have done a few gear swaps but havent on a Ford 10.5. I got new 4.30 gears from advanced 4x4 for my superduty. The front went great, and the rear was going pretty good today until I put the carrier back in. Before it was even seated all the way the pinion hit the carrier. There was a shim under the inner bearing on the pinion so I pressed the bearing back off, pulled out the shim and reinstalled the pinion and carrier and the pinion is still contacting the carrier. There are no shims on the pinion now and no shims behind the inner bearing race, so I cant move the pinion away from the carrier any further. My vin says the truck has the 10.5, the sticker on the gear box says 10.5 1999-2010, but my carrier has 10.25 stamped on it. It also had 2 large spacers on each side of the side bearings between the housing and the race. Im thinking I have the wrong gear set, or am i completely missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

neagtea

Supporting Member
So did you set each set side by side for comparison?
My guess is wrong gears.
Those "spacers" should be the carrier shims
Although I haven't cracked open a sterling in years like 18.
Google should give ya the answers you need.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You can use 10.25 gears in a 10.50, and vice versa...but it does require special pinion bearings. (and therefore you may or may not want to do it...but it works)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You can use 10.25 gears in a 10.50, and vice versa...but it does require special pinion bearings. (and therefore you may or may not want to do it...but it works)

^^^^^^ the truth right here, In fact when you go to say 5.38 gears in a 10.5 you have to use 10.25 gears

oxbronco

Thanks for all the replies, I feel stupid for not noticing this till this morning but what happened was he gave me the inner pinion bearing for a 10.25. The 10.5 is smaller. I didnt pay that much attention because I had all new bearings and races. This morning I set the pinions next to each other and noticed the differnce. Got everything installed today.