Jeep gear help

my buddy has a 97 tj with 33's and a 4 popper under the hood backed by a manual trans and he is looking to regear what ratio would be the best its a daily driver/ weekend wheeler any help or info is awesome . :D

i'm 90 percent sure he doesn't have 410's cause he does not use 5th gear on the freeway . and his ex wrecked it prior and he put a 35 out of a grand in it so i think its 355's or maybe 307's cause it guttless more than normal

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
well I think you should find out what is in it first, I just looked it up and what I found said in 97 the 4 cyl automatic came with 3.73 and the manual came with 4.10s

well I think you should find out what is in it first, I just looked it up and what I found said in 97 the 4 cyl automatic came with 3.73 and the manual came with 4.10s
thats the factory rear end . the one in it came out of a grand cherokee .it was wrecked so he found the rear axle at a junk yard and swaped it in
I have a 97 4 banger with a Manuel and 4.10's and never use 5th. I would put 4.88's in it
thanks for your input

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
Sooooo what your saying is the gears in the front axle and rear axle dont match? lol

there should be a tag on the cover that tells you what gear ratio it has

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
If it has 4.10's there is no point going to 4.56's in my opinion....it's not to big of a jump to show a very noticable increase. If it were me I would go atleast 4.88 if the originals are 4.10's

Xiled1

Definitely 4.88's. I'd say 5.13's but you can't go that high with a 30 or 35. Just make sure he is never going to wheel it or else you are throwing money down the drain by regearing a dana 35.

TheJeepGuy

first all 4 banger TJ and YJ's manual's came with 4.10's stock, if he switched out the rear axle with grand cherokee then he most likely has 3.55's which would really suck with a 4 popper and 33's.
I would say he needs to get 4.10's back in the rear or the next time he uses 4 wheeldrive it is going to get ugly and he would be a lot happier with driveability.

I have driven several TJ's with 33's and 4 poppers and they are pretty good unless the engine is worn out but you do have to remember that it is a 4 popper and no matter of gearing is gonna take that away.

rholbrook

He has 4.10s in it if its stock. I have 4.10s in my stock 4cyl 5 spd TJ and I can get into 5th gear going down a steep grade with 33's. You are limited to 4.88 gears as some have already posted because of the D30 in the front and D35 in the rear. 4.56s wouldn't make a difference in mine and others' opinions on here so based on that, 4.88 is the only way to go and also remember that 5th gear is a goal that you stick out there and hopefully you can attain it sometimes.

Xiled1

first all 4 banger TJ and YJ's manual's came with 4.10's stock...

Actually, the later models with the 6 speed manual came with 3.73's.
The six speed has a lower 1st gear and a lower 6th as compared to the 5 speed manual. So they upped the ratio to eak out as much MPG as possible. Thats also why there are so many TJ's with 3.07's, trying to bump up the CAFE #'s. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

bluecrawler

4.88 will give you good torque even in 5th gear. I had 4.10 and a good head wind would force me to shift to 4th. I wouldn't go any lower than 488's because the pinion gear gets to small and becomes a weak link.