Gear ratio mis match

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Alright so i have a question for those of you that have run not the exact same gear ratio front and rear. I know of a few people that have done this but my question is how far off can you be example: You have 4.30:1 in the front and 4.37:1 in the rear or in the case of my buddy he has 5.12's currently in his tracker and the closest toyota ratio i can find is 5.29s we plan on a SAS soon with a toyota axle. Im thinking thats way too off from each other but i could be wrong. Looking for peoples insight on this, how far apart can you be and what have people done in what vehicles:D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There's a max percentage that is recommended, but I can't remember what it is hopefully someone else does..

I have 5.38's and 5.29's and its okay, but I would not want to run have any bigger of a gap :-\ On dirt its just fine, but on slickrock it will bind up pretty good. I went with a twin stick for the 2lo option to take some stress off off everything when 4wd isn't needed.

1995zj

I'm addicted
The article in a past 4-wheel mag said for a DD that sees mostly pavement, you can have a 1% variance. If it's a trailer queen type rig that really only sees dirt then you'd be fine with a 2% variance.

I personally have 5.38's front and 5.33's rear. Never seen any issues.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
General consensus is 2% (in ratio) is ok.
The real test is taking the difference between (# of tire rotations x circumference of tire) between the front and rear axle.

A good example is the 76 F150. Stock it has approx 30" tires with 3.55 gears up front (d44) and 3.50 gears rear (9").
Radius=(1/2x30)
2pi x R=Diameter
D=94.25"
RC1=D/3.55= 26.54" (of travel per rotation of the driveshaft)
RC2=Dx3.5= 26.93"
RC2-RC1= .39"
% difference= 1.5%

Now try it with a 37" tire
D= 116.238"
RC1= 32.74"
RC2= 33.21
RCD= .47"
1.5% difference

Because this difference (in distance) increases with tire size, we can infer that: as we increase tire size, the amount of "bind" in the system increases if we have non matched gear ratios.

(It's interesting to note that the % difference does not change).

How much bind is acceptable?
It depends on the coeffecient of friction of the tire (Grippy vs. Smooth) and (like Rot Box said) the surface (loose vs. solid).

Your buddy would be better off running a waggy 44 with 5.13's

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Cool well that confirms what i was think and very good info guys. Yeah joel we plan on a toyota axles front and rear if chris can find a good deal, it maybe the only option it sounds like

iamsparticus

the stock axles are weak sauce and he already has 33's and plans on 35's so i dont think leaving the stock rear would be wise, and a waggy 44 is the wrong side drop axle those are pass drop he needs driver drop

iamsparticus

sorry i got it reversed he needs a pass drop which is what a toy axle is and the waggy i was thinking of was a driver drop. I didnt know 70's waggys were pas drop. Anyway id rather do a toy axle, cheaper and lighter