Toyota Gear Ratio upgrade

Fatkid

Hello all! I am a new user and not very technical. I am looking to re-gear a 96 4runner that is a daily driver. I am just looking for more power. Can anyone recommend a brand to buy as far as parts are concerned? Thanks for any help.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
need more info, like what size of tires are you running? what gears do you have now? stuff like that

Oh and welcome to RME :greg:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The gears won't help, you're still stuck with 4Runner "power". Heh

Just kidding. Regearing is expensive, be warned. And yeah, more info: tire size, lift if any, what kind of trails you want to run and still DD your rig, and so forth.

1993yj

Regardless of what size tires, etc. I would recommend Yukon. Many will say to stay away from Genuine. I have them in the front of my Jeep (~10 years) and they are fine, but I know those who have had bad luck with them. Also, if looking to do the install yourself I have head those say that Yukon are easier to set up than Genuine, but cant verify that myself. When I did mine I had my dad's help, and by that I mean he did 99% of the work. It seemed like both brands were just as easy/hard as the other from what I watched.

Fatkid

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am running 33s on it now and just want more power for a little off road and on the hills. Since lifts for a third generation are harder to find I got one from a company in AZ called Sonoran Steel. It is a three inch lift in front and 3.5 in back since runners tend to sag in the back. I love the runner but it needs more power for sure. A buddy will be doing the install and I am just hoping all the money will be noticeable in return for power. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Fatkid

Sorry I think the current gear ratio is 370 and I have heard it is good to go up at least two gear ratios to notice anything.

Fatkid

I also noticed you guys are mostly here in Utah. I was going to call Six States Distributors. I have done some stuff with Jack-it as well. Any recommendations on where to buy parts? Thanks