Gear Review - Cadac Safari Chef; 5 in 1 Camping Grill

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was at Sports Authority last week browsing the camping gear area, looking for a good stove to use during vehicular-based exploration and camping trips. I've seen the typical Coleman 2 burner stove and liked the idea of some other stoves that had a built in skillet. I didn't want one or the other though, I wanted an all-in-one which was compact enough to pack away during travel. Oh yeah, and inexpensive it good too.

I found this Safari Chef, by Cadac and it seemed to fit the bill quite well. It's a 5 in 1 stove that runs of a 16 oz propane cylinder. It looks like it will be very handy. You can use the lid as a Wok or to boil water/cook food, there's a flat surfaced grill for frying eggs and bacon and if you turn it over, it has a ribbed grill for cooking meat, etc. The open-faced grill works for BBQ'ing too. The propane bottle screws into the bottom, between the 3 legs.

safari_lrg_01.jpg

The legs on the bottom fold in, then lock for storage and transportation. The entire grill breaks down to fit inside a storage bag. In the end the whole storage bag with grill is about the size of a bowling ball bag.

scg_bag_box.jpg

I haven't had a chance to use it in the field, but so far I have found one dislike. It has no self-ignition, so one will need to carry matches or a lighter to use the stove. Other than that, it looks good. The price is decent, I paid $90 for this one. I'll update this thread after I use it and let you know how it works on the trail.

CJ Matt

Looks like a cool setup. I'll am curious to see how it works for you. I always end up taking a Coleman camp stove and a Weber Smokey Joe for grilling. For being small the Smokey Joe is still one of my favorite grills since I starting using one back in my dorm days but it means you have to have charcoal too.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've used the Cadac camp stove for a handful of trips now and it's been very handy. It has cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast and shish kabobs and chicken breasts for dinner and done well with most everything I've thrown at it. It is built to run on the small 16oz propane cylinders, but I found a hose that will adapt that fitting to a larger propane tank, so I've hooked it to a 20# propane tank. Less hassle with carrying several small cylinders and more time between refills.

The one thing that I don't like is the lip around the sides of the flat skillet. It's not very tall and makes it difficult to cook scrambled eggs or anything runny. I suppose you could try cooking them in the lid and use it like a Wok. May have to try that next time.

It also does seem to have hot and cold spots, most likely from wind blowing the heat around. The flame shield works well, but it could be better. No problems with the flame blowing out.

So far it's been good for a multi-use stove. I'm happy with it and it packs down to almost nothing.

505527166_DhW5o-L.jpg