Gears and Lockers

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
There are a lot of variables....
For what axle? What locker? What brand of gears? Were they set up properly? How long were they run? Why are they being sold? What does the pattern on the gear look like?

I would be cautious, but I have used, used gears/lockers before without problems. Just depends.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i tend not to like using anything used when it comes to driveline parts.to many variables as mentioned above.you just never know how hard they have been thrashed

oh did i mention i have a Dana 30 locked with a Detroit and 4.56's all ready to go .just needs to be bolted up!!even comes with swaybar disconnects and Rustys adjustable trackbar

$450 screaming deal

Last edited:

XJchic

rckcrlr said:
There are a lot of variables....
For what axle? What locker? What brand of gears? Were they set up properly? How long were they run? Why are they being sold? What does the pattern on the gear look like?

I would be cautious, but I have used, used gears/lockers before without problems. Just depends.

It would be for my XJ, Dana 30 in the front Chrysler 8-1/4 in the rear. It would be a Detroit in the rear. Not sure about the brand of gears, what are some good ones? I'm wanting 4.56s. They were run for only 2 years by a friend of mine, who just bought a Rubicon, so he's parting out his XJ.

XJchic

Badger said:
i tend not to like using anything used when it comes to driveline parts.to many variables as mentioned above.you just never know how hard they have been thrashed

oh did i mention i have a Dana 30 locked with a Detroit and 4.56's all ready to go .just needs to be bolted up!!even comes with swaybar disconnects and Rustys adjustable trackbar

$450 screaming deal

Hmm...thanks dude, I'll let you know. ;) I've been looking for a rear locker, I'm thinking if I want one only in the front, it would need to be a selectable locker. I run that thing too much on the pavement.

Hey, how's that project of yours coming along? :D

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
XJchic said:
It would be for my XJ, Dana 30 in the front Chrysler 8-1/4 in the rear. It would be a Detroit in the rear. Not sure about the brand of gears, what are some good ones? I'm wanting 4.56s. They were run for only 2 years by a friend of mine, who just bought a Rubicon, so he's parting out his XJ.

If set up correctly, it shouldn't be a problem....Just stay away from Genuine gears.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i don't know why people think you can't run a detroit up front on a daily driver.its going to the feel and handle the same as it does now.when you don't have power going to it ,it acks like an open end

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Badger said:
i don't know why people think you can't run a detroit up front on a daily driver.its going to the feel and handle the same as it does now.when you don't have power going to it ,it acks like an open end
Yeah, the Detroit spins freely when there is no drive on the pinion and when there is, it (obviously) locks up like a spool. Hence the reason they aren't a good idea for vehicles towing trailers on icy mountain roads. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Used gears like everyone said are ok... Personally with the price of new Yukon's, there isn't really a reason to go used, IMO.

If you set up the used gears, make sure to pay more attention to the coast and not the drive side patterns... The drive side will change due to wear and tear, while the coast side doesn't.

waynehartwig said:
Used gears like everyone said are ok... Personally with the price of new Yukon's, there isn't really a reason to go used, IMO.
Have you checked on new gears from Yukon? We got our new ones for what I consider a screamin' deal. What always scares me with used stuff is are you going to spend more making it work than you would going with new ones. Just my .02 cents!:D

crzyxj

The cheaper the better!
rckcrlr said:
If set up correctly, it shouldn't be a problem....Just stay away from Genuine gears.
I have those and they are "genuwhine" gears. I am still running a disco so the rear howls twice as much as the front:rofl: :rofl: