Gears Q?

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
so i broke a tooth off the ring gear in my front axle, so i decided that this would be a good reason to change gears. well i bought a used set of 4.10's. so my question is Do i have to change the gear oil after the first 500 miles or since the are used do i not even have to bother?
Thanx

ROCKRUNNER

You might not be able to get the gears setup exactly the way they were before. The pattern will wear differently and you will get some more wear than usual as the gears re-work themselves in. So changing the oil is a good idea.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I would probably still change it out just to be on the safe side and to make sure there isn't any strange particles in it. It's just being smart :)

x2

It's also a good time to inspect your work and check for anything that might not be kosher.

When you set them up, pay more attention to the pattern on the coast side, than the drive side.

Even though they are used, they still have a break in period. Because you will not set them up 100% identical to the way they were done before. For this reason you will also have fresh particles in the oil and increased heat from that friction. Heat kills diff fluid rather quickly. It's not like engine oil, where it can take it. Once diff fluid get's hot, it's toast and pretty much like water (friction wise).

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
well i guess im not going to have to worry about changing the gears after all:rolleyes:, after tearing down the front end i noticed that there was no metal particals in the oil and all the teeth looked fine (Dont trust anyone to diagnose ur rig-_-). after about an hour of cursing my heep and putting it back together we jacked it up and let the jeep spin all 4 tires in the air, so we could hear the rapid clicking noise comeing out of the front end, and if u watched carefully u could see the front drive shaft vibrating like crazy. so we pulled the shaft thinking it must be a u-Joint and what do ya know it was the CV joint in the shaft:mad:. so does anyone have a spare front TJ Shaft i could have?:D