generators

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I recently got me a little off road trailer. I am going to be redoing it a little to fit my needs. One of the things I am thinking on is a generator. I plan to add a battery or two on the trailer and was thinking it would be nice to run stuff on a generator or charge them up. I do the hunting thing in a camping trailer so the generator would be nice for that too. anyway I don't know really anything about them. Any brands I shoud watch out for. I have heard only good about hondas. I was thinking about 2 2000s and get the kit to connect them. do any of you expo gurus use generators in your rigs? thanks

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What will they be powering? 4000 watts is a lot of power, you must have some pretty consumptive devices you take camping? With my whole setup being powered, I'm still less than 10 amps (DC) being powered at any given time so while my initial trailer plans called for a generator (and I had one I took). It never got used, there just wasn't anything I needed it for. With a simple inverter I can run a grinder, everything else I generally pack is DC powerd and with dual batteries I'm fine for a couple of days without running.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
I picked up a 3500-5000 champion from autozone and have had it for 4 years and it still starts right up and handles even the microwave. I would love to have a honda but to much for this guy but when i did construction years ago all we used was champion so i figured what the hell and its still running. The only thing i have done to it is replace the rope and clean it up. I noticed the ones my buddies got from pep-boys or checker not sure, they are blue. they work good but alot louder

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I think that one honda eu2000 would do just fine... I used one last weekend on a camp out and it was the quietest generator at the campout... it powered up most the things in the trailer... but wouldn;t run the A/C.... it ran for 8 hours on the gallon of gas that the tank holds... the spec say it will run 4 hours at 50 percent of load on that one gallon... so I guess I was only running it at 25 percent or so....

I would get it if you could afford it... otherwise the champion one that everyone else had was good choice.... and most said that they got it at checker and there was a $100 rebate that dropped the price to like $199

ammo_bru

I have 2 honda 2000 with the kit. I love them!!! I run the microwave or A/C with my coffee pot, lights and other things. What I like is that I can carry both generators at one time. I think they are just under 40 lbs each when full of oil and gas. They are quiet without a load and not to bad with a heavy load. I was looking at a yamaha 3200, it is very quiet but it weighs 132 lbs. I do not want to lift that in and out of my truck. I have had my hondas for 5 years or so and I use them for every and anything, one or both depending on what is needed. Also you need to look at where you might be going camping. I heard that you need to run the quiet type in Cali.

If you can afford them I would get them. (My 2cents.)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There's a little green generator at Costco for under $200 that I keep thinking about. Everything I've seen says the Honda EU2000 is about the best you can get. I keep not buying the cheap Costco one so I can get the Honda instead. $1000 is tough to swallow for something that will be used infrequently though.

Alabama

I have had my Honda EU2000 for 8 years now. It runs everything that i need to run in my camp trailer. I had a Coleman 1850 before and it was Junk compared to the Honda.
It might cost you more but it makes up for the cost just being able to talk when your gen is running. Ive had zero problems over the years so I say if you can spend the extra cash then I would go Honda all the way.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What will they be powering? 4000 watts is a lot of power, you must have some pretty consumptive devices you take camping? With my whole setup being powered, I'm still less than 10 amps (DC) being powered at any given time so while my initial trailer plans called for a generator (and I had one I took). It never got used, there just wasn't anything I needed it for. With a simple inverter I can run a grinder, everything else I generally pack is DC powerd and with dual batteries I'm fine for a couple of days without running.

I realize itisalot of power. In the infrequent times my mom comes camping in the trailer it would be nice to run the AC. She has MS and the heat owns her pretty hard so she never gets to go in the summer I probably would only put one in my off road trailer. At my family reunion there were probably 15 different generators and the honda was so quiet it was awesome. I tried to pick up a coleman one and nearly broke my arms off.

What about a solar panel? Those are getting pretty popular.

I plan to get some solar panels as well to charge the batteries. I am love back up plans.

I picked up a 3500-5000 champion from autozone and have had it for 4 years and it still starts right up and handles even the microwave. I would love to have a honda but to much for this guy but when i did construction years ago all we used was champion so i figured what the hell and its still running. The only thing i have done to it is replace the rope and clean it up. I noticed the ones my buddies got from pep-boys or checker not sure, they are blue. they work good but alot louder

I will look into the champion ones. that sounds like a good price.

anyone heard of the generac brand they sell at cal ranch? the look to be decent quality.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
There's a little green generator at Costco for under $200 that I keep thinking about. Everything I've seen says the Honda EU2000 is about the best you can get. I keep not buying the cheap Costco one so I can get the Honda instead. $1000 is tough to swallow for something that will be used infrequently though.

what is costcos return policy ont these things? maybe worth a shot. I have used one generator in my life and it was a cheap brand and it sucked. I spent about 2 times as many hours keeping it running as it actually ran.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ah, AC makes sense. Can't blame you at all there... if you've got a trailer equipped with it you should have a way to run it. There are times I wish my trailer had AC :D

Caleb

The ones we used were the Northstar brand (I think that's the name) from Nothern Tool. They have Honda engines on them and we never had any problems with them. We used them on the GSL when I was fishing so anything that withstands that environment is ok by me :D They were very quiet too, we would have them on top of our cabins (aluminum cabins mind you) and when they were running, we could go inside and not even hear them running. They weren't the cheapest but they were decently priced. We had them for four years before I stopped fishing and we never had a single problem. They would run every night for about four months straight, every year, for several hours a night, sometimes all night if it was storming and we were watching movies :p or we were on a streak and worked through the night, we'd fire them up and power a ton of lights so we could see. All we ever had to do was change oil, plugs once (maybe twice) a season, and rebuild the carbs at the beginning of each season (super easy to do, takes about 5 mins per carb). We had about a dozen of them.

EDIT: This looks identical to the ones we'd use, but I believe the ones we used were rated for 3500 watts.
165912_lg.gif

From this page.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I run a EU200i in the fifth wheel. It powers everything I need. Bought a second one the other day and built my own parallel kit for under $10.00. Runs the AC and all.

There is no better gen than the Honda EU2000i for what it does.