Getting concerned

Dominic

I bought an old 80 series Land cruiser last month from a local dealer. I hate dealerships for the record. I am getting concerned because my temporary tags are due on the 22nd and still have no plates nor have I seen a title yet. I called the dealership last week and they said "call back next week they will be in". I will call again tomorrow but I am still concerned about not seeing a title. It was listed as a clean title and I paid with a cashiers check. If everyone was being honest there shouldn't be an issue with any of that. Does anyone have any insight on this? What is my next move?
Thanks
-Dominic

Dominic

I should probably mention. This is my first time buying from a dealership so I am unfamiliar with the process. Also I am assuming the title would have been mailed to me. Do they send it with the plates to the dealership?

D

Deleted member 12904

If their is no lien the state will mail you the title. If their is it will be sent to who ever holds the lien.
Depending on where they got the vehicle they may be waiting for the title. Like if it was a trade in they would have to pay off the lien and wait for the bank to send them the title before they can re register it and title it in your name.

I wouldnt worry it takes time and worst case they may have to issue you another temp tag.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I should probably mention. This is my first time buying from a dealership so I am unfamiliar with the process. Also I am assuming the title would have been mailed to me. Do they send it with the plates to the dealership?

Expected protocol would be for them to deposit your check and then wait a couple weeks to make sure it didn't bounce. Once you've over that hurdle, they would then turn the title (and paperwork) in to the state. The DMV would then process everything, generate a new title in your name, and mail it directly to your home. Once they turn it in, the dealership would never see your title again.

Another possible slow down is the former owner. Example: if they traded in the car and had lost their title, they would need to go through the duplicate process with the DMV. Once they finally got a title, they would then turn it in to the dealer... which would finally get their part of the process started.

Even though you're only a few days away from your permit expiration, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Cherokeester

How you do hate dealerships so much when this is your first time buying from one? I see so much angst against retailers, you know we all would be dead in the water without them.

SubLime Time

A Study in Black & Green
I think somewhere on the temp tag there's fine print that gives you 15 days or something like that beyond the expiration date that's written on the tag.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
How you do hate dealerships so much when this is your first time buying from one? I see so much angst against retailers, you know we all would be dead in the water without them.

Not sure about the op but I hate Larry miller auto mall and never bought a car there. I test drove a jeep and had to threaten to call the police to get the keys to my car back after they drove it to asses trade value. I wouldn't drive through that place if they were giving away $100 bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominic

I am not trying to be a jerk about it. I just haven't had a good expierience so far. The dealership has been a bit shifty on a few other things with this transaction. I also have spent plenty of time in dealerships looking at cars and having repairs done. I don't care for the pressure and lack of knowledge about the vehicle I am looking at. I just don't care for salesman in general. I am sure they are not all bad.

Dominic

Congrats on the 80 Series Dom!! I think you'll be very happy with it.

Thanks Greg, so far we really like it. I know the draw backs with power, gas mileage etc. However they are sturdy little work horses and as far as a family SUV goes it is a dream come true. Mindy is in love with it. There are days I miss the power of the Zj but overall the 80 is much more comfortable to drive and suits the family well.