getting ready for summer - air rifle laws?

skeptic

Just gearing up for my second spring/summer in UT. Last summer was a bit of a bust, only 1 real wheeling trip plus camping a couple times with my boys. I hope to do much better this summer. In gearing up I've picked up some fishing gear (ex didn't bother to give me anything other than a couple crappy old poles), new tent (new GF=bigger tent), and a few other odds and ends. One other thing I didn't get back from the ex was an old pellet guy. I'd like to pick up another one for plinking and killing paper targets, but I'm not sure of the laws around here. I wouldn't want to shoot around other campers or where people are wheeling, that's just rude, but if I have one with me and find myself away from others I'd like to shoot without breaking any laws.

Caleb

As long as you are outside of city limits then I don't think you'd be bothered. I don't know of any other laws specific to air guns.

skeptic

As long as you are outside of city limits then I don't think you'd be bothered. I don't know of any other laws specific to air guns.

That's kinda what I thought as well. I couldn't find anything other than an airgun is not a firearm, and a few things prohibiting airguns being fired within city limits. I've asked around as well before posting here and pretty much everyone says the same thing.

Thanks.

muleskinner

Why can’t you fire it within city limits? Is there a law stating this? I know you can shoot a muzzleloader in the city :D I haven't, but I know someone who has. He says the cops couldn't find a law against it. (although they advised him to stop)

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Yea, how else do you chase the cats away?

J/k

If it's not a fire arm, i can't see why city limits have any thing to do with it.

Caleb

Why can’t you fire it within city limits? Is there a law stating this? I know you can shoot a muzzleloader in the city :D I haven't, but I know someone who has. He says the cops couldn't find a law against it. (although they advised him to stop)
I know we got cited when I was younger for shooting in our backyard (we were shooting into a cardboard box with pillows in the back of the box)...the neighbor called the cops and we were all cited (my two brothers, some friends, and myself). I *think* it was discharging a firearm within city limits, it's been about 18 years since that so I can't hardly remember. Of course, we just moved into our house and continued to shoot :rofl:

utahxjer

In a lot of cities you cannot shoot anything that fires a projectile within the city limits, usually city ordinances (in Lehi anyways)

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
It may depend on the city you live in. Sandy city website is not working now so I can't check, but from memory a pellet gun was ok unless someone felt endangered or at risk, then it was a misdemeanor. So basically it was ok unless someone complained then you got a ticket.

I would think that if you were up camping, and were out plinking it would never be a problem unless someone complained.

Caleb

In a lot of cities you cannot shoot anything that fires a projectile within the city limits, usually city ordinances (in Lehi anyways)
I think it may be up to the city as well, I found some stuff on various cities (all saying you couldn't shoot airguns within city limits) but nothing on the state.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Taken from Midvale city website

9.82.050 Firearms.
"Firearms" means pistols, revolvers, sawed-off shotguns, or sawed-off rifles, and/or any device which could be used as a weapon from which is expelled a projectile by any force. (Prior code § 13-1050- 1(B))

By that definition I would have to say that they concider a pellet gun or BB gun, or airsoft gun a firearm, just the same as a "real" firearm

http://www.codepublishing.com/dtSea...root\public_html\ut\midvale\midvale_form.html

skeptic

I live in Clearfield but I couldn't find anything for here (I'd like to be able to do a bit of target shooting in the back yard, get it sighted in if nothing else). While looking for general info covering areas where I hope to go camping/wheeling I did find this:
http://www.centervilleut.net/FAQ+index-myfaq-yes-id_cat-6-categories-Police-parent_id-0.html#38

City Ordinance prohibits shooting or discharging any "rifle, gun, pistol, air gun, bean shooter, flipper, slingshot, or other instrument, firearm, or BB gun" within the limits of the city. Exceptions are made for self defense and lawful hunting within certain areas in the north west portion of the city. Many areas of the "Fire Break" road are outside of the city limits, Federal laws prohibit shooting in areas below the upper lake level within Federally owned property.

skeptic

Taken from Midvale city website

9.82.050 Firearms.
"Firearms" means pistols, revolvers, sawed-off shotguns, or sawed-off rifles, and/or any device which could be used as a weapon from which is expelled a projectile by any force. (Prior code § 13-1050- 1(B))

By that definition I would have to say that they concider a pellet gun or BB gun, or airsoft gun a firearm, just the same as a "real" firearm

http://www.codepublishing.com/dtSea...root\public_html\ut\midvale\midvale_form.html

By that definition they could throw kids in jail for having a firearm on school grounds when they shoot a spitwad through a straw.