Getting rid of used oil

Ogre Palowakski

Where do I get rid of the oil left over from oil changes? Can I just take it over to a place like jiffy lube and have them dump it in a barrel or something like that?

thx!

Coco

Some places have used oil burning heaters they use to keep warm. My old shop in lehi did, and they would take any used oil they could.

But ya, the other too places that are listed will take oil too

krany

kranberry
Some places have used oil burning heaters they use to keep warm. My old shop in lehi did, and they would take any used oil they could.

But ya, the other too places that are listed will take oil too

My shop has one of those heaters. They are quite nice and we take oil as often as possible.

sixstringsteve

jiffy lube is also required to take it by law. I just put it in a 5gal bucket and when it gets full I take it to jiffy lube. You can actually mix fluids as long as there's no water (antifreeze) in there. So I can mix ATF, gear lube oil, and motor oil all in my one bucket.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
I put it in the gutter out if front of the house and flush it down the street with a little hot water from the kitchen sink. :ugh:

Not really. Bad back and all, I can't carry the water from the kitchen anymore. :D

Jiffy Lube is where I take mine. They usually have me sign a log sheet. No biggie!

ret32

Wal-Mart disposes of it 5 gallons per visit.
I also do Walmart because they'll take the container as well (mostly because they are too lazy to dump it right then and there). I buy my oil in the 4 quart jugs, then I put my used oil back into the jug I just emptied (I keep a couple of empties handy to take the excess if it's more than 4 quarts of old oil). Then I drop the whole package at WalMart and let them recycle the oil and the jug all at once. Very clean.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
hahahaha its so true about auto zone and no offence to the spanish people but each spanish person takes like 15 mins to get a part, i cant even deal with it anymore NAPA all the way

sixstringsteve

In my experience, the latinos know what they want, and I'm always the one spending 15 min to get the right part :D

I lived in mexico for a time, and man, they had some amazing mechanics down there. The cool thing about the people where I lived is that they all learned to fix their own stuff. Most didn't take it to the mechanic, they just fixed it themselves. I once asked a mechanic how many miles his car had, and he had no clue, he guessed 400k. He just kept fixing it, and he could do it for cheap too. Pretty inspiring.

My favorite story from mexico was watching a guy weld by getting this HUGE metal hook and throwing it up on the powerlines to weld. crazy.