getting the most flex out of leafs

83cj7/360

im on a very tight budgit but i want to be able to get some flex out of what i have. i cant aford to build a four link or anything like that the best ive got is a pair of really long leafs off a scout 2

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm not having any problems with mine either.. but they are Chevy springs, with a shackle flip in the back, so they are fairly flat, and fairly thin, and fairly long too. :D

It's a good combination for decent flex without going nuts about it.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I used to get a lot of flex out of my Scout rear leafs. The only problem I had with them is bending them like every trip! The fronts were a different story. They were way short.

If you set them up right they will be fine. Make a good trac bar and you shouldnt bend them either

83cj7/360

thanks for the replys i just graduated high school and ive been into wheeling about four years and i just got into building my own rigs in the past year and a half so any help or tips i can get are greatly apreciated

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
hey I just got outta school too lol but yeah my leafs on my 94 wrangler are mixed packs with opened up retainer clips, my fronts are 5 leaf packs with the top 1 *the main one with the bushing ends* is off a 4" pack then the 3 middle ones are stock ones then the bottom one is the bottom leaf off the 4" pack.
My rear leafs are 4 leaf packs, the top 2 are 4" leafs then the bottom two are stockers and it flexes like mad with the spring over! flexes way good and doesnt rub

one tip though, when opening the clips do not use a torch to bend them just yet. use a pry bar to bend them open then get them open and pull all the leafs apart and then use heat to flatten it. but just ligthly heat them, the heat will take the temper out of the springs and they will snap on the trail. also if you are re-doing the leaf spring mounts, build them around 7"s long with some big u-bolt plates too. I have noticed it helps re-duce axle wrap and from twisting the springs.

Last edited:

soda blaster

What rig are you putting them on. We have one that has the rear springs off a 97 Z71 on a old box bronco and it flexes like nothing else. Then we have a yj running rubicon express leaf springs and it does very well also. a side note running the Z71 springs if you don't mes with them you don't have to run a track bar. we have run the bronco for a few years like this.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Thinking back.....I never had a problem with the Scout leafs until I went to a 40" tire. Wheeled for years on 36s and 38s with no trac bar and no problems.

So what are you building?

83cj7/360

thanks for all the help its greatly apreciated as for what rig im putting them on its a wrangler frame cj7 body with a 360 also using scout axles with SOA conversion