Gills?

jdub

Scrambler
I spent a couple of weekends ago in Moab. While there I saw these jeeps with what looked like gills on the hood. What is that? Was it scrap from their swamp cooler? I noticed that it was done well, no rivets that I could see. I would like to vent my motors better and keep em from cooking my paint. Any Ideas? Any of you have this set up?

jw

Caleb

they're called louvers, some guys use material such as that from a swamp cooler door and carefully tack them on place, but you can also have them done with a press, this is probably what they did. They do help to add more air flow and heat escape from the engine bay.

jdub

Scrambler
Where can you find a press like this? These weren't welded. Even though that would work for me they had multiple rows. Theres no way they cut and welded that many pieces in.

louvers- good to know.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Was this a big section, or just small spots? My 5.9 came with small ones just behind the radiator. I've seen guys use these, or some pontiac grand ams have em... I'd bet the pontiac peices are cheaper.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
If you don't want to do any sheet metal work or pay someone to press them in for you, someone sells plastic louver pieces that you cut a hole in your hood then screw these in place over the holes.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
I can get you polished stainless steel marine lounvers that are very nice. They come in three different sizes. My mechanic just installed a set in his hood. His dad, who has a very nice customized black YJ said to him when he saw them this last saturday, "Those aren't a want, those are a need!" Also, I can get your hood louvered as well. I am louvering the hood on my current project right now. Just took it in to be sand blasted today which gives you a better paint job when you're done. It is a little pricey but it looks nice. I have done a lot of research on attractive ways to vent out the engine bay so if you want call me @ 801-360-3609.

jdub

Scrambler
What sizes are the stainless louver set that you talk about? Tell me a price. I'd also be interested in the price you'd charge for louvering the hood.
Thanks radjeeper.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
They are both so new I don't know yet. It is 10:30 pm and I am going down to the SEMA show in Vegas early in the morning. When I get back I will work up some pricing for you. If you don't mind, send me a PM which will remind me. Thanks for your patience.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Stainless Steel Hood Louvers/Vents: $45.00 each
Stamped Louvers: $100.00 set up fee plus $3.00 per louver.

Installation of vents and layout of louvers would be extra at an hourly rate.

Last edited: