Glasspacks

Ramme

Big Blue
I need help. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 engine and I wanted to get a glasspack put on it but I dont know what size and all that good crap. Do I just need one with a 3 inch diameter? Anyone know any good brands to get. I dont want to go too expensive I was thinking something like a Purple Horny. Any Advice would be sweet. Thanks

chans

You would need a glass pack the same diameter as your pipe. I would argree about a flowmaster or other performance muffler. I don't think glass packs are street legal and they keep getting louder when they wear down on the inside. I also don't like the popping noise they make when you let off the gass.

Ramme

Big Blue
The reason I want a glasspack like a purple hornie or a cherry bomb is because they are cheap ($20-$30). As far as legalness goes, I believe they are legal as long as you don't live somewhere that you have to have emissions done.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Then get a cheap turbo muffler from Vatozone. They are 25 bucks or so. Glasspacks just make you sound like a meth addict, unless you need the small size for fitment, then you are just a crack addict with a fitment problem :D

StrobeNGH

no user title
Why do you want just glasspacks? If you insist on having only glasspacks on your truck (and you live somewhere where there are no emissions laws . . . like Sandy :rolleyes: ) then use 40" or longer glass packs.
We had a 89 Suburban with dual 40" glass packs . . . It was great for us becuase we could hear my dad coming when he was still several blocks away.
So for an early warning system, your setup would be ideal. For a good exhaust setup, please put a muffler after the packs.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
get a flowmaster or magnaflow... flowmaster 40 series is what i have on my 4banger and it sounds goooood!
magnaflow has straight through mufflers too... i think

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
xj_punk said:
but with a much, much better sound imo

i would go with the glass pack, i have one on my jeep and i think it sounds cool. i wante a flow master but my funds were to short at the time.

Ramme

Big Blue
limegrnxj said:
i would go with the glass pack, i have one on my jeep and i think it sounds cool. i wante a flow master but my funds were to short at the time.

Thanks XJ. Finally someone who sees it like me

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You know what's the best sounding exhaust tone? One that you can tell, by sound, is letting the motor breath. It may be a Flowmaster or straight piped, but glasspacks sound like pure and total ass...