Glasspacks

cheapzuk

glasspacks sound ok if you don't have a cat, but from my experiance if you have a cat then they sound like ****. For emmisions you actually don't have to even have a muffler, but for Saftey inspection the law is "no overly loud or obnocious sound" or something like that.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I like the sound of my chevy with a glass pack. It was on there when I bought the truck, and I've never had problems passing emmissions testing.

Caleb

Shawn said:
I know a guy who runs them on his Cruiser :eek:

I think I am going to run them on my buggy as a temp solution...dont have a lot of money right now and I need to buy two so that rules out anything of worth :-\ I am going to hit up NPS though, see what I can come up with there...

BTW, I do hate the sound of them...:p

JeeperG

Supergper said:
I think I am going to run them on my buggy as a temp solution...dont have a lot of money right now and I need to buy two so that rules out anything of worth :-\ I am going to hit up NPS though, see what I can come up with there...

BTW, I do hate the sound of them...:p

Keeping the Buggy, Now thats what I like to hear....... :D

And I don't like Glass packs :rolleyes:

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Greg said:
You know what's the best sounding exhaust tone? One that you can tell, by sound, is letting the motor breath. It may be a Flowmaster or straight piped, but glasspacks sound like pure and total ass...

I will agree with you on how the magnaflow or the flowmastersrs sound like they let motor breathing more, and I would rather have on of those two mufflers over the glass pack. But when the funds are short, glass packs are fine by me. on my jeep the cat is so restrictive that it actualy doesnt sound to ass :rofl:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Have you people that like sound of the magnaflow actually heard one or have you just read the ads? Maybe it is just me but I think they sound weak. I have one.
The muffler that I liked the best was a Flowtech terminator. It is a flowmaster type design. A little quieter at idle but quite a bit louder at wide open. Good mean sound, and cheaper than a FM.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
bobdog said:
Have you people that like sound of the magnaflow actually heard one or have you just read the ads? Maybe it is just me but I think they sound weak. I have one.
The muffler that I liked the best was a Flowtech terminator. It is a flowmaster type design. A little quieter at idle but quite a bit louder at wide open. Good mean sound, and cheaper than a FM.

i have two friends with magnaflow on their 4.0s and i love the sound... not very loud but tough imo
my flowmaster is way louder than magnaflows (even on a 4 cyl)because it is a 40 series and that is the loudest and most aggressive sounding flowmaster

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Ramme said:
I need help. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 engine and I wanted to get a glasspack put on it but I dont know what size and all that good crap. Do I just need one with a 3 inch diameter? Anyone know any good brands to get. I dont want to go too expensive I was thinking something like a Purple Horny. Any Advice would be sweet. Thanks

what is wrong with the currrent muffler?

Lay under the truck and measure the size of the exhaust tube.

good brands...........hmmmm..............they are all the same if they are a glasspack design.

as far as expense..............if there is nothing wrong with the currrent muffler then you are just throwing money away anyways.........right.

I have one on my jeep currently because when I built the 4link it left little room to fit the flowmaster I had in there to begin with.

oh it is a 2.5 in/out that is 12" long with a 3.5 turn down on it(that is also the outside diameter of the glasspack) fits where I need it to and does the job.
Its also a trail/play vehicle so I don't really care as far as how loud it is :rolleyes:

in fact I think it is a little quieter then the flowmaster I had on there previously.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Let me add that the MAIN reason I had to run glasspacks is due to ripping through to many mufflers. Because of my sh!tty exhaust design (outside the frame) I ran them for clearence. They do tuck up nicely :)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Shawn said:
Let me add that the MAIN reason I had to run glasspacks is due to ripping through to many mufflers. Because of my sh!tty exhaust design (outside the frame) I ran them for clearence. They do tuck up nicely :)

i dragged my flowmaster over everything when i had a 3" lift... only some small scratches to date
flowmaster got the best toughness rating in a mag a while back.

i am actually going to cut mine off and run cat only when i build my traction bar...maybe i'll put it on the zuk... actually i have a bulletbike muffler i might put on the zuk :cool:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I have them on my CJ behind my fenderwell headers. They work well, are very cheap and have survived many brushes with the rocks. They are a little loud but look much better than a turbo muffler strapped outside the frame. For me they are about the only option.

Just my $0.02 worth though

chans

If your muffler is OK and you just want your truck to be loud why not weld in a race ready exhaust dump before the cat and muffler so when you go and play off road you can take off the plate and have straight pipe and put it back on when your are in the city and you would not be hassled by cops. I ran straight headers a couple of times when working on my exhaust and I was not bothered but since the import racer guys started to put on there performance mufflers and leave off the silencers cops started pulling them over and they compain its not fair to pick on them so they have to inforce it for everyone and I got pulled over with mufflers just because it was still too loud with the engine I had.

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
I've got a VERY healthy motor in my buggy and with my tiny little Magnaflow muffler(6" in diameter-3" in/out) it never hits on the rocks, sounds killer, and flows amazing. Magnaflow is nothing like a glasspack. It has a straight through design that actually creates a vacuum effect to help evacuate the gasses, not run it throug a tube with holes and packing material around it.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Have you compared the insides of a magnaflow and a flowmaster??? Well, the flowmaster is made to have the deep throaty sound. It has a whole bunch of resonators inside it. To me it actually looks like it is more restrictive. Magnaflow is a straight free flowing muffler. I love my magnaflow. It may not be as loud (who cares anyways???) The main reason I got my exhaust is so I could hear my engine at idle. Oh by the way the Magnaflow can handle plenty of abuse. When I broke my U-joint my driveshaft hit it dead center. But a dent in it, but still works fine. No cuts or anything exposed. It's also aluminum so it doesn't rust.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
tweakeyjeep said:
Have you compared the insides of a magnaflow and a flowmaster??? Well, the flowmaster is made to have the deep throaty sound. It has a whole bunch of resonators inside it. To me it actually looks like it is more restrictive....

Do you even understand the concept that the Flowmaster is built around? 'Casue it doesn't sound like it.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Greg said:
Do you even understand the concept that the Flowmaster is built around? 'Casue it doesn't sound like it.

I'm just saying what was told to my by Draper Muffler and Brake. They showed me the insides of both and told me the Magnaflow is a better performer...

I was watching Trucks the other day and they even showed your glorious 40 series Flowmaster, it is not a direct shot free flowing, it has resonators in there everywhere so it will sound cool...

I'm NOT saying they are restrictive, I am saying that they ARE LESS free flowing than the Magnaflow...

So you tell me, do I understand the concept???