GM 6.2l diesel engines

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone here have experience with the GM 6.2's, specifically a turbo'd 6.2? I know they aren't the best option as far as diesel engines are concerned, but they are a decent light-duty diesel that manages good mileage.

I know Banks has a 6.2 turbo kit and it puts out nearly 400 ft/lbs and brings up the mileage substantially, into the 20+ MPG range.

I'm thinking of swapping a 6.2 into my Landcruiser, using 6.5 manifolds and turboing it. I'd rather not run the GM turbo, but something else... low spool speed, etc. Probably no more than 12 PSI, intercooled if possible.

What I like about these engines is that they are cheap... :ugh: They are no where near the powerhouse engines that the Cummins or Powerstroke are, nor can they handle power upgrades, towing big loads, etc. Fortunately that's not what I'm going for.

So, anyone have experience with these?

jcruiser70

poser
I've had a couple, I loved them! Aside from being noisy and slow, the mileage was great (19mpg with 35's).

I had the Banks intake and exhaust, and with some adjustments to the injector pump, it really woke it up!

I think a 6.2 in a cruiser would be sweet, if I had one available when i did mine, I would have gone that route.

Oh yeah, and they are super easy to work on too!

Greg

Admin
I've had a couple, I loved them! Aside from being noisy and slow, the mileage was great (19mpg with 35's).

I had the Banks intake and exhaust, and with some adjustments to the injector pump, it really woke it up!

I think a 6.2 in a cruiser would be sweet, if I had one available when i did mine, I would have gone that route.

Oh yeah, and they are super easy to work on too!

:cool: Thanks for replying! They do seem fairly straight forward engines, simplicity is good. I can put up with the noise, it won't be as loud as a Cummins. I'd add some sound insulation in a attempt to keep the cabin quiet.

From what I've been reading, a turbo will fix the slow part AND increase mileage! Looks like it's quite easy to turbo a 6.2, just use 6.5 parts. A better turbo would be really nice, something that spools at lower RPM's.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Just curious would the 6.2 be cheaper than going with a Toyota diesel? My k5 originally had the 6.2 and the 700r4 & in hind sight I should of rebuilt the 6.2 with a turbo and gone with a full manual valve body so I could have been enjoying it all this time instead of spending money like it was free.

Greg

Admin
Just curious would the 6.2 be cheaper than going with a Toyota diesel? My k5 originally had the 6.2 and the 700r4 & in hind sight I should of rebuilt the 6.2 with a turbo and gone with a full manual valve body so I could have been enjoying it all this time instead of spending money like it was free.

Up front a 6.2 will be much cheaper than a Toyota diesel.

I had 2, 1HZ Toyota diesel's, which are great motors. They are non-turbo and would have worked a bit better than a stock 6.2, but the issue I found was getting the right transmission to fit my FJ80. I would have had to try find a low mileage transmission from Australia and the model that I needed weren't easy to find without a few hundred thousand miles on them. Being that those engines were never imported to the US, getting some standard parts aren't as easy as other domestic engines.

I think you will be very happy when you finally drive your Blazer. :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The thing that I like about the 6.2/6.5 diesel swap is that they work for people with more time than money. They are plentiful and parts are typically cheaper than some of the other diesel options. Power wise they can be quite impressive (contrary to popular belief) I never dyno'ed mine but with a few modifications I will put money on it having at least 210RWH and close to 500ft/lbs.

I am a firm believer that GM NEVER offered a perfect year of 6.2/6.5. I owned one that I swore would never hit 50K but I also had one that finally let a rod loose at 550K! The earlier years had better but more restrictive blocks and mechanical injection and the later had poor blocks with the essential cooling updates. The 6.2's never came from GM with a turbo but some dealers offered a Banks made turbo system as an option. Regardless the 6.5 turbo equipment will bolt right on.

Block. Block strength is an issue with these motors. Typically the 6.2's are all pretty decent, but the golden goose is the 82 "red" block (red in color only offered in 1982) as they were strait from Detroit and had much more iron content than any other block. This is a highly sought after block and they tend to be hard to find. Next up would be the AM General blocks that I believe are still being produced today for the military. 96.5-98 blocks are by far the worst as they had oil cooled pistons and were known for premature cracking.

Heads. The 6.5's had the best heads as they flowed a lot more than the 6.2. If may be hard to find a set that aren't cracked (any operating temp over 215* has been know to crack the heads) but it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Cooling. These engines are known to cook themselves from the inside out. The 96.5 and later models had a twin t-stat housing and a water pump that flowed twice as much as the previous years. These upgrades are mandatory imo.

Injection. All 6.2's were mechanical as well as the 6.5's up untill 94. In 94 They switched to electronic injection and it can be a nightmare if you don't preform a few modifications. If you go the electronic route I can elaborate a bit more...

Pro's and Cons:

Pro's

Relatively light at 450lbs. That is more than half the weight of a 6BT Cummins.

Adapts to most GM V8 transmissions.

Very reliable if you pick the right year/model.

Mid 20's for fuel mileage with a light foot.

Powerful enough for any Toyota imo.

Smaller in size compared to other 6+ Liter diesel

Con's.

Overheat easily and will destroy engine without proper cooling mods.

Very unreliable if you pick the wrong year/model.

Glow plugs... I hate them and they are very difficult to reach on this motor. Change them out with the right ones before you install the engine. Cheap ones swell on the ends and make it impossible to get them out of the head.

Poor harmonic ballancer design is known to break cranks. Change this also before installing engine.

Because of the IDI engine design the size of the required radiator is HUGE. It would be tough to fit one in an 80 series. You are going to have to use an aftermarket aluminum unit.

Timing chain also drives the injector pump. This is lame. Once the chain stretches the pump timing is thrown off and they loose power and become a pita to start. There is a gear dive alternative from a company in Canada.

Cold starting. With good glow plugs and a working relay they start okay. These must work for anything colder than 45*. I like the grid heaters that are offered in the Cummins they start very well in comparison.

For the past few years I have been dreaming up ways to put one in my Hilux without butchering it, but so far I just don't see how. This is one of the most hit or miss engines I have ever seen in my life. I loved mine some days and hated it others--seriously. I became so pissed with my 95 that I took it to the nearest dealer and traded it for a Tacoma because I was so tired of dumping money into it. I have been through every known problem aside from the broken crank and it was not a fun experience. In the long run I think you would be better off finding another 4BT and just spending the money. If you are however set on the 6.2/6.5 they can be made very reliable. I know several people with a million miles on a stock engine and one that blew his up at 30K :-\

Try to find one with a serpentine belt for starters the earlier years (aside from the 82) have a lower power output mostly because of the heads.

The dieselpage books are a MUST. Buy them before you even look for a donor engine! These links will help...

www.heathdiesel.com

www.kennedydiesel.com

www.thedieselpage.com

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm thinking of swapping a 6.2 into my Landcruiser, using 6.5 manifolds and turboing it. I'd rather not run the GM turbo, but something else... low spool speed, etc. Probably no more than 12 PSI, intercooled if possible.

What I like about these engines is that they are cheap... :ugh: They are no where near the powerhouse engines that the Cummins or Powerstroke are, nor can they handle power upgrades, towing big loads, etc. Fortunately that's not what I'm going for. The 6.2's aren't as loud as the others, so that's a good thing too.

I would rethink the GM turbo. The Borg Warner GM-4 (and later GM-8's) that was in mine offered almost instant boost. Out of all the trucks I've owned it had by far the least amount of lag. There have been a few people that have swapped on Holset HX35's but I would recommend not doing it unless you go with lower compression pistons. It would be great if you could make the IC work it would be well worth the headache imo.

My 6.5 would light the tires off and it would pull really hard too! I had a few modifications and upgrades though... I would smoke a friends PSD even on his 50hp setting. It had a LOT more than my 92 Cummins when I bought it as well. The only thing I didn't like was how easily the temperature would climb when worked hard. Stock the these engines are VERY restricted. With just a downpipe and a better intake the difference is night and day. With those two things you will not be let down by the power output I will guarantee that ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you could track down a lower mileage 92-93 6.5 I think that would be your best bet that way you don't have to spend forever piecing together a combination. They are mechanically injected, have a strong block and are turbocharged. Do plan to use your stock automatic? If not these two years either had the bombproof 4L80E or NV4500 (rare lower first gear in the manual) if you bought a complete donor truck. As cool as the manual would be I doubt it would be worth the trouble fitting it into an 80 series though :-\

Fuel. In my owners manual GM actually embraced the use of Kerosene and #1 as an alternative cold weather fuel. Not that you can't do that in any other diesel I just thought it was cool. The Stanadyne Injector pumps are very reliable and the military versions have hardened internals to stand up to dirty/poor fuels. I have ran Kerosene, WMO, B100, #1 and everything in between. I would ditch the flimsy factory fuel filter/water separator in favor of something aftermarket. The bigger the better imo and keep a spare filter under the seat especially in the winter months ask me how I know :ugh: Diesel is the only way to go in a true expo rig! I'm really jealous I hope this will all work out it will be one nice rig that's for sure.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
they're not a bad engine, provided you can deal with the caveats already listed. Lots of M715 guys running them as a cheap upgrade, and you're already used to the 80 being a pig, so no surprises there. I always thought they were kind of clattery, but hey.
The radiator spec'd from GM is a thickish deal, but it's not any wider/taller than the gas radiator in the same year trucks. I don't know if they will fit in an 80 or not.

FWIW, CUCV's are a good source of these--- throw a 350 back in and resell the truck LOL ... actually.... that's a really good idea.

Greg

Admin
Wow, where to start!!! :rofl: I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge and experience RME members have, even with the most obscure things.

The thing that I like about the 6.2/6.5 diesel swap is that they work for people with more time than money. They are plentiful and parts are typically cheaper than some of the other diesel options. Power wise they can be quite impressive (contrary to popular belief) I never dyno'ed mine but with a few modifications I will put money on it having at least 210RWH and close to 500ft/lbs.

I am a firm believer that GM NEVER offered a perfect year of 6.2/6.5. I owned one that I swore would never hit 50K but I also had one that finally let a rod loose at 550K! The earlier years had better but more restrictive blocks and mechanical injection and the later had poor blocks with the essential cooling updates. The 6.2's never came from GM with a turbo but some dealers offered a Banks made turbo system as an option. Regardless the 6.5 turbo equipment will bolt right on.

Block. Block strength is an issue with these motors. Typically the 6.2's are all pretty decent, but the golden goose is the 82 "red" block (red in color only offered in 1982) as they were strait from Detroit and had much more iron content than any other block. This is a highly sought after block and they tend to be hard to find. Next up would be the AM General blocks that I believe are still being produced today for the military. 96.5-98 blocks are by far the worst as they had oil cooled pistons and were known for premature cracking.

Heads. The 6.5's had the best heads as they flowed a lot more than the 6.2. If may be hard to find a set that aren't cracked (any operating temp over 215* has been know to crack the heads) but it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Cooling. These engines are known to cook themselves from the inside out. The 96.5 and later models had a twin t-stat housing and a water pump that flowed twice as much as the previous years. These upgrades are mandatory imo.

Injection. All 6.2's were mechanical as well as the 6.5's up untill 94. In 94 They switched to electronic injection and it can be a nightmare if you don't preform a few modifications. If you go the electronic route I can elaborate a bit more...

Pro's and Cons:

Pro's

Relatively light at 450lbs. That is more than half the weight of a 6BT Cummins.

Adapts to most GM V8 transmissions.

Very reliable if you pick the right year/model.

Mid 20's for fuel mileage with a light foot.

Powerful enough for any Toyota imo.

Smaller in size compared to other 6+ Liter diesel

Con's.

Overheat easily and will destroy engine without proper cooling mods.

Very unreliable if you pick the wrong year/model.

Glow plugs... I hate them and they are very difficult to reach on this motor. Change them out with the right ones before you install the engine. Cheap ones swell on the ends and make it impossible to get them out of the head.

Poor harmonic ballancer design is known to break cranks. Change this also before installing engine.

Because of the IDI engine design the size of the required radiator is HUGE. It would be tough to fit one in an 80 series. You are going to have to use an aftermarket aluminum unit.

Timing chain also drives the injector pump. This is lame. Once the chain stretches the pump timing is thrown off and they loose power and become a pita to start. There is a gear dive alternative from a company in Canada.

Cold starting. With good glow plugs and a working relay they start okay. These must work for anything colder than 45*. I like the grid heaters that are offered in the Cummins they start very well in comparison.

For the past few years I have been dreaming up ways to put one in my Hilux without butchering it, but so far I just don't see how. This is one of the most hit or miss engines I have ever seen in my life. I loved mine some days and hated it others--seriously. I became so pissed with my 95 that I took it to the nearest dealer and traded it for a Tacoma because I was so tired of dumping money into it. I have been through every known problem aside from the broken crank and it was not a fun experience. In the long run I think you would be better off finding another 4BT and just spending the money. If you are however set on the 6.2/6.5 they can be made very reliable. I know several people with a million miles on a stock engine and one that blew his up at 30K :-\

Try to find one with a serpentine belt for starters the earlier years (aside from the 82) have a lower power output mostly because of the heads.

The dieselpage books are a MUST. Buy them before you even look for a donor engine! These links will help...

www.heathdiesel.com

www.kennedydiesel.com

www.thedieselpage.com

Lots of good info, I've been doing a TON of reading the last couple days and you hit on a ton of the stuff I've read about. I do think your engine weight is off though, I've read that the 6.2 and 6.5 in the 700# range.

I had actually thought of adapting a Cummins heater grid to the intake of the 6.2 as a back-up heat source. I would install a set of quality glow plugs and a good relay, then have a redundant Cummins heater in case there was ever a problem with the glow plugs or it was so cold that it wouldn't start with the plugs working.

I'm alright with getting a big aluminum radiator, they can be had from Summit Racing for around $150. I have a Taurus fan that I could use. Adding RedLine WaterWetter does some amazing things to keep engine temps down.

I'll go into my engine build/tweaks after your other reply.

:cool: Thanks! I read them all... I'm surprised how happy he is with the N/A 6.2. Sounds like some slight tweaks and it runs great!

I would rethink the GM turbo. The Borg Warner GM-4 (and later GM-8's) that was in mine offered almost instant boost. Out of all the trucks I've owned it had by far the least amount of lag. There have been a few people that have swapped on Holset HX35's but I would recommend not doing it unless you go with lower compression pistons. It would be great if you could make the IC work it would be well worth the headache imo.

My 6.5 would light the tires off and it would pull really hard too! I had a few modifications and upgrades though... I would smoke a friends PSD even on his 50hp setting. It had a LOT more than my 92 Cummins when I bought it as well. The only thing I didn't like was how easily the temperature would climb when worked hard. Stock the these engines are VERY restricted. With just a downpipe and a better intake the difference is night and day. With those two things you will not be let down by the power output I will guarantee that ;)

From what I read, the GM-8 requires some serious RPM's to get to spool... you're the first I'd heard that said that it spooled right away. Perhaps it was IP timing or increased fueling at low RPM's that introduced boost quickly? I do want to avoid high EGT's at speed, so perhaps I'll not overlook the GM-8 and GM-4. Was this truck you're talking about mechanical or electronic?

I really do want an intercooler, I think any turbo-diesel w/o an intercooler is robbing itself of free power and a better/cooler running engine.

I would like to fab up the intake using 4" tubing and the exhaust would be 3" with an Aero Turbine muffler. Eventually there would be a snorkel, helping the engine get even cooler air.

Greg

Admin
If you could track down a lower mileage 92-93 6.5 I think that would be your best bet that way you don't have to spend forever piecing together a combination. They are mechanically injected, have a strong block and are turbocharged. Do plan to use your stock automatic? If not these two years either had the bombproof 4L80E or NV4500 (rare lower first gear in the manual) if you bought a complete donor truck. As cool as the manual would be I doubt it would be worth the trouble fitting it into an 80 series though :-\

Fuel. In my owners manual GM actually embraced the use of Kerosene and #1 as an alternative cold weather fuel. Not that you can't do that in any other diesel I just thought it was cool. The Stanadyne Injector pumps are very reliable and the military versions have hardened internals to stand up to dirty/poor fuels. I have ran Kerosene, WMO, B100, #1 and everything in between. I would ditch the flimsy factory fuel filter/water separator in favor of something aftermarket. The bigger the better imo and keep a spare filter under the seat especially in the winter months ask me how I know :ugh: Diesel is the only way to go in a true expo rig! I'm really jealous I hope this will all work out it will be one nice rig that's for sure.

Here's my engine build plan.-

I found a low-mile (under 70k) mid-80's 6.2 for a decent price. I'm trying to get the seller down on the price, since it hasn't moved yet. I offered $150, but haven't heard back. Hopefully he will come around when he stil has it in a couple weeks. I would rather use a 6.2 vs a 6.5 due to the block cracking issues. Heads that don't flow well won't matter when there's boost pushing air into the cylinders. ;)

Getting the 6.5 turbo parts is fairly simple it seems, they are all over ebay. Looks like I could get all the manifolds, plumbing and a turbo for around $400.

I would take the low-mile long block and do a quick & dirty rebuild. Pull the heads off, make sure they are still ok and check the pistons. I'd use an ARP head stud kit and an updated Fel-Pro 6.5 head gaskets. Re-seal the bottom-end, swap out the timing chain and clean everything up.

Replace and upgrade the glow plugs and integrate the Cummins grid heater to the intake plumbing.

Possibly add an external engine oil cooler, with a fan, to help the engines internals.

I would love to add some 6.5 turbo Marine injectors, easy way to get more fuel in the cyls. At the least, some 6.5 turbo truck injectors, since they have a higher pop pressure.

I would use a GM transmission, I go back & forth from a 700R4 and a NV4500. The NV4500 actually fits the FJ80 quite well and plumbing for the clutch shouldn't be too much of a problem using FJ60 parts. I would rather piece this together, than buy a donor truck. Just too much hassle that way to me. It would be really nice to find a complete 6.5 with a broken crank or cracked block that was cheap, just take the needed parts from it, serpentine system and all.

they're not a bad engine, provided you can deal with the caveats already listed. Lots of M715 guys running them as a cheap upgrade, and you're already used to the 80 being a pig, so no surprises there. I always thought they were kind of clattery, but hey.
The radiator spec'd from GM is a thickish deal, but it's not any wider/taller than the gas radiator in the same year trucks. I don't know if they will fit in an 80 or not.

FWIW, CUCV's are a good source of these--- throw a 350 back in and resell the truck LOL ... actually.... that's a really good idea.

They are clattery, makes a different sound for sure! I don't think an 80 with a turbo 6.2 will win any races, but it will pull freeway speeds much better than a 3FE, not to mention the mileage.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My sole experience with those engines was in my Dad's Oldsmobile 98. It was an early 80's car, with the 6.2. After dumping tons of cash into it in an attempt to keep it running (or let it start reliably) he had his mechanic swap it out in favor of a gas V8. (403, whatever that is) It was a much nicer Grandpa car after that. That 6.2 was a pile.

Greg

Admin
My sole experience with those engines was in my Dad's Oldsmobile 98. It was an early 80's car, with the 6.2. After dumping tons of cash into it in an attempt to keep it running (or let it start reliably) he had his mechanic swap it out in favor of a gas V8. (403, whatever that is) It was a much nicer Grandpa car after that. That 6.2 was a pile.

You sure that was a 6.2? The Olds diesel was a 5.7l and you are right, it was an utter POS. It's a different animal than the truck 6.2l, though they were produced for the same reasons... better mileage versus gas V8's.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

From everything I've seen the diesels had a completely different radiator core support and a four core radiator. I gave my brother a diesel radiator for his 86 3500 with a 454 and we couldn't get it to work easily. The 6.5 trucks also had a separate reservoir that held well over two gallons to help with the heat loads :ugh:

The CUCV's are great as they typically had lower miles and came with the hardened IP components that I mentioned earlier. I'm not too familiar with the electronics (12v and 24v system) but they also have two alternators and that would be a great upgrade :greg:

I do think your engine weight is off though, I've read that the 6.2 and 6.5 in the 700# range.

From what I read, the GM-8 requires some serious RPM's to get to spool... you're the first I'd heard that said that it spooled right away. Perhaps it was IP timing or increased fueling at low RPM's that introduced boost quickly? I do want to avoid high EGT's at speed, so perhaps I'll not overlook the GM-8 and GM-4. Was this truck you're talking about mechanical or electronic?

I would like to fab up the intake using 4" tubing and the exhaust would be 3" with an Aero Turbine muffler. Eventually there would be a snorkel, helping the engine get even cooler air.

Good call on the weight that was a typo on my part. They are still lighter than the 4BT which seems kind of funny :D

The truck I mentioned had the 4L80E and it was electronic (95) with the GM-4. The spool up time was impressive and it also didn't seem to have any drive pressure. It worked very well with the RPM curve of the engine especially once the intake and exhaust were opened up. I ran a 3" turbo back exhaust without a muffler and LOVED the sound. It had the perfect tone and never bothered me even after hours on the freeway.

Here's my engine build plan.-

Replace and upgrade the glow plugs and integrate the Cummins grid heater to the intake plumbing.

Possibly add an external engine oil cooler, with a fan, to help the engines internals.

I would use a GM transmission, I go back & forth from a 700R4 and a NV4500. The NV4500 actually fits the FJ80 quite well and plumbing for the clutch shouldn't be too much of a problem using FJ60 parts. I would rather piece this together, than buy a donor truck. Just too much hassle that way to me. It would be really nice to find a complete 6.5 with a broken crank or cracked block that was cheap, just take the needed parts from it, serpentine system and all.

The stock engine oil cooler on the 6.5 trucks is a behemoth I would track one down or find a replacement at least that size.

I fired mine up (without plugging in) in temperatures well into the negatives and didn't have any issues. Later in life the glow plugs really let me down because they were burning out. They are very difficult to change on the turbo side but a good set will last a long time. The grid heater would be really cool but for me I just carried a can of either. So long as the glowplugs are cold you will not have to worry about a multi-cylinder ignition. Good glow plugs and either makes for really easy head removal!!! I've seen it! :eek:

I would go 4500 over the 700R4 any day of the week. If you can hang a petal and run the lines I would go that route for sure but I am a die hard manual guy. The 4L80E would be first on my list of auto's to choose from it is a tank.

EDIT: Starters. If you can try to find a starter from a 6.5. They have a much better design and won't melt after 20 seconds of cranking like the 6.2 version. They are expensive to replace but in a high compression (22:1) diesel you must have a good starter.

My sole experience with those engines was in my Dad's Oldsmobile 98.

I'll bet it was the 5.7 as well and they were a total pos. It has been said that the 5.7 conversion was one of the worst decisions made by any auto maker in history... But that was said before the 6.0 was offered in the Fords :rofl:.... Oop's too soon?!

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I wonder if they changed something midstream. I took a radiator out of a CUCV and it is dimensionally identical to the big block radiator it's replacing-- but thicker. *shrug*

I heart this thread. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You sure that was a 6.2? The Olds diesel was a 5.7l and you are right, it was an utter POS. It's a different animal than the truck 6.2l, though they were produced for the same reasons... better mileage versus gas V8's.

Nope, I'm not at all sure--so I'll believe you guys that it was a 5.7. :)

Greg

Admin
So to round this all out, I decided to look into getting a 6.5l instead of a 6.2l diesel. Reason being is that the 6.5 is built to be turbo-charged and the pistons of the 6.2 are not. The non-turbo pistons will fail under too much boost and heat, where the 6.5 pistons will take a bit more abuse. I did find a builder 6.5 for $150, which seems like a really good price.

After looking into 6.5's, in order to make a more reliable engine there are several key upgrades that need to be preformed. Head studs as mentioned, balancing the rotating assembly is a great idea, adding a Fluidampr harmonic balancer is a good idea, a web cradle for the bottom end is recommended, etc. Each of these mods run between $150-300+ and in the end, you'd have to totally tear down the motor and pretty much build it from the block, up. You would be into the rebuild a bare minimum of $1,500.

In the end, you still have a cast crank that is known to break, a block that is known to crack, a problematic glow plug system and a very limited amount of power that you can safely squeeze out of the motor.

Without a turbo a 6.2l would be fine... with a mild turbo, it would probably work well enough. With the idea of building it to be a low-buck, reliable motor for the long run, it's probably not the best choice. So to sum it all up, for the cost to build a 6.5l, I think I would be better off with a Cummins 6BT. :greg: Or a GM LSx gas V8.