Go big or go home! HD Tow Rig!

Chevycrew

After months of searching for the "right" truck for me. I drove out to Portland on Friday night to check one out. I ended up buying it but I wanted a couple things done, so I have to go back to get it in a couple weeks.

My plans are to add a 18' or so flatbed to haul the TrailBlazer while keeping the ability to tow a trailer.

It needs a little work, mostly cosmetic. It is a very solid truck mechanically.

2003 Freightliner Century

C15 CAT 475hp, Eaton Autoshift with Smartshift, 70" Double bunk condo sleeper, 12,000lb rated front axle, 20,000lb rear axles, very good aggressive rear tires, Webasto diesel fired bunk heater, Battery powered APU unit (has 4 extra batteries to run a separate heat/AC system), and all the standard Century goodies like power windows, cruise control, jake brake, suspension dump valve, etc.

Attachments

• cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 80
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 33
  • cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 31
  • cat4.jpg
    cat4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

rholbrook

What a weiner. My wife gets me excited all the time and leaves me dejected too. If we pitch in and buy you a new outfit will you not leave us like this?

Chevycrew

I have a buddy that works for Cascade Truck Body over in Eugene. They are trying to find me the best deal possible on a basic flatbed, that way I can save time and not build it. I can take care of the rear bumper/hitch, lights and wiring once it gets home.

Less chance of DOT bugging me when I blow past the scales if the 5th wheel plate is already gone.

Oh, and I updated it for you guys...

Last edited:

blznnp

That will be a awesome tow rig, I mentioned having a setup like that later on down the road to my wife, she thought I was crazy

Chevycrew

Picked up a mini fridge with freezer, and a microwave today. I still need to order the inverter. This will pretty much be setup like a motor home, just no running water.

littlyota

Picked up a mini fridge with freezer, and a microwave today. I still need to order the inverter. This will pretty much be setup like a motor home, just no running water.

Which one did you pick up? I was wondering if one of those would fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chevycrew

We will see down the road if missing water is a big deal. For now it will be baby wipes and hand sanitizer.

I am thinking self contained toilet, stored in a box under the deck. (I have a 3 year old daughter)

Although a 30 gal or so poly tank, with pump and sink would be nice, no gray tank, just let it hit the dirt.

Not sure if you have already been to the site, but the HDT forum has some ideas on adding running water to the rig. I am planning on putting a 15 gallon water tank, a 12v pump, and a small sink in/under mine. Seems easy enough, and having running water would be kind of nice sometimes.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

http://www.hhrvresource.com/SinkDrawerInstall.htm