Go Big or Go Home

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Last year I decided I wanted a truck that I could drive to the trail head rather than having to drive the buggy with stickies.
I talking about when in Moab or places like that where you have to bring the camper, or crawler hauler. The hauler was nice but then I had to drive the buggy to the trail head, which sucks.

Anyhow, I started looking at 550s and 5500s, and decided that while these are good options to flatbed and carry the rig on, they are still a huge compromise.
Anything I got would still be basically maxed out weight wise and the cost of these trucks is ridiculous.

Started looking at medium duty trucks, which are stupidly underpowered and still pricey.
Switched to heavy duty trucks, bingo!
Picked up this truck for $12k! Engine has 250k since an inframe was done, new heads, NO emissions controls what so ever, which is great!

Guys in CA are selling these off because they can't drive them next if they don't have DEF.

Truck makes 435 HP, 1600 ft/lbs, loving the power and pulling grades at 65 mph rather than 50 lol

Attachments

• 20210515_192318.jpg
    20210515_192318.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210410_131847_769.jpg
    IMG_20210410_131847_769.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 62

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've always wanted to do that. I've never driven the Mercedes motor, always a Detroit or a Cummins in my work trucks. There are a couple place I would wish for 4wd, like the last 100 yards into my recreation property.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
My son has been pushing for me to buy a heavy truck for our tow rig. The problem is that we use our tow rig to do a lot of exploring, 4 wheel drive and trail drive ability are still needed. But someday I’m sure it will happen

OCNORB

Supporting Member
How is the insurance?

I'm guessing my local auto policy guy is not gonna cover something like this. ???

Raleigh

OMF Dave
How is the insurance?

I'm guessing my local auto policy guy is not gonna cover something like this. ???
In Nevada we have to register and insure these as commercial truck for private use, the insurance was about $1300 for the year, about the same as my pick up was.
Actually my regular State Farm guy got ut covered through Progressive, they do 90% of these policies.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Can you explain more about the PITA part? Storage wouldn't be an issue for me.

Jeeper pretty much nailed it.

Storage is a problem for me. Right now I’m storing it at a empty building lot. It’s been there a couple years. It’s only 20 minutes from home but it makes it way harder to head wheelin for just a day.

The house is getting built there this summer so I’m going to have to find new accommodations for it. Not sure what I will do

I’ve always planned on moving to a bigger place With more storage but with prices these days I don’t see it happening.